The Western Wolfman

The arid winds blew across my face as I lay down on the hard, unforgiving earth, my poncho the only source of comfort. I pulled my bandana over my mouth and my hat over my eyes, while my horse nuzzled up close to me. He was always this loyal to me, always has been. I couldn’t help but smile when he gets close to me, like a dog cuddling up close to it’s owner. I closed my eyes, and drifted off into the unknown void of dreams. Back home, people used to say that dreams were a way of telling the future. As for me, I only have the same dream over and over again.

            “Maybe it’ll be different this time.” I told myself. I only hope. Things started out different. I was standing out in a field, greener than the back of a dollar bill. I began walking forward, the fresh breezes hitting my face. I felt relieved; it looked like it wouldn’t happen again tonight. Just up ahead, I saw a pond, with water bluer than the sky we live under. The stillness of the water allowed my to see my face, my dark scarred face stared back at me with it’s green eyes. I extended my arms and started to wash my face. The pool’s cool water felt euphoric on my face. Maybe things will finally start to be pleasant. I lay back down onto the grassy field, the grass tickling my ears and creating a better source of comfort than by poncho ever could.

            Just then, the sky turned a darker color, and faded to a terrifying shade of black. I rushed up to my feet, pulled my bandana over my face and threw my hat on.

            “No,” I said, my voice cracking in pain, “No, no, not again.” My hand automatically went to my waist, in a vain hope that my gun will be there this time, but no such luck. All I could do was stare up at the sky, as the dark clouds changed shape into dark horses being ridden by even darker riders. I took a few steps backwards, and ran away. My boots weren’t the most ideal running-wear, but they would have to do.

            As I was running, I saw my people, the Mojave; appear from out of thin air. As I was running, they were charging forward, tomahawks in hand and cries leaping from their mouths. I looked back, only to see my brothers on the ground, dead. The rider’s guns were like cannons, blowing my people away with the sound of thunder. Then, out of the thick smoke, I saw our homes, burned to ash; their spirits rising up to the afterlife. All I could hear was the clamor and cries of my people, now being lined up and forced off of our land.

            I awoke in a cold sweat, my hands shaking. My horse let out a noise; I could feel his concern for me.

            “We’d better go get some food in us, huh?” I said. He let out a happy sound, and we made way for a nearby city. I pulled a spyglass out from my knapsack, and observed my surroundings. All I could see was a rocky wasteland, with only the smallest of plants growing. Just out of the corner of my eye, there was a city. It wasn’t big, but it wasn’t small either.

            “Looks like we found something, Traveler. Now let’s go!” I said, kicking my horse as we took off across the desert. We rode at breakneck speeds across the flat rocky plains, with tall cliffs surrounding us. As the town came closer and closer to Traveler and me I saw a small, grey figure move across the wastes. It didn’t look like a horse, or any other animal that you usually find around these parts. It moved sporadically, like every part of it convulsed in agony. I thought little on it, and continued to our destination.

            “Woah, woah, Traveler!” I shouted, pulling back on the reigns as we arrived at the city. I was shocked at what I saw. The buildings had boards ripped right off of them and thrown into the streets. Windows were cracked, and in some cases just shattered. A few men lay in the streets, with blood flowing out of their chests; women and children could be seen weeping on their porches. I decided to keep my head down, and pulled down my bandana, giving off the impression that I’m a bandit wouldn’t be so smart now. I pulled over to the nearest saloon, and hitched traveler up to the nearest post.