Chapter 2

What I saw was the shadows in my room coming together. The shadows were moving and becoming solid as they took form of a man. Tall, dark hair, pale skin, wearing a black leather duster and his form going in and out of focus. The man was having a hard time staying solid he kept fading into shadows. I was terrified and curious. Who was this man? What was this man? Did I fall asleep and this is just some crazy dream?

"Wh- who are you?" I manage to choke out. The man stares at me long and hard with his piercing dark eyes.

"I am the ruler of shadows." he says in a raspy cold voice. The kind of voice that sends chills down your spine. "And I am here for you." I took a step back. Horrified now. A creepy shadow calling himself "ruler" that is scary. I am certain that this a dream, it has to be a dream. "I know who you are and what you are Astrid Cruise."

"What do you mean you know 'what' I am? I'm human." I say confused.

"Yes and no. You were born from humans but you are not just human." The shadow man explains.

Now would be a great time to wake up. "Than what am I?"

"Ah, now that is an excellent question with an interesting answer." he pretends to debate whether to tell me or not until he finally jumps into an explanation. "You are a Protector."

"What?" I ask astonished. I have never done anything to deserve a label like that.

"It is what we call humans who are born with a gift. You hear things others can't, see things others can't, and lift things that others can't, am I right?" He asks. I nod slowly. "That is what makes you a Protector."

"If that is what they are called then why do you call yourself a shadow?"

"Another excellent question. I am not a horrid Protector." he says the word like it is acid in his mouth. "Protectors are horrible beings that always seem to ruin my fun." I then feel a red flag. If he hates Protectors and that is what I am then I don't want to know what he'll do. My fear must have shown. "Oh do not worry young one. I will not hurt you. The Protectors have done us both wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"Why little one," he says with false pity. I don't think this man has the ability to actually feel. "They have left you here to suffer in the real world not knowing why you don't fit in. The Protectors are suppose to find you as a baby and take you with them to train. A place you wouldn't feel left out but they never came for you. They left you here for sixteen years to question why people are afraid of you and why you are so different. To never feel like you should be here. They are to blame for your unhappiness. You and Shadows together. Shadows have been force into hiding in fear of them. They are evil. They may call themselves the protectors but they are no such thing. They train to become rulers and dictators. Shadows on the other hand believe that everyone should be equal and free. Don't you think?" he was pacing across my room but paused to look at me as I nod. I saw an evil twinkle in his eyes and I looking back I can't believe I fell for his speech. "They never thought you were worth training. Seeing you as a weak link as an infant. So they left you in this cruel world feeling empty."

At the time I felt anger boiling. I am not weak. I deserve to feel welcomed and whole. Who are these people to think that they should rule? I always knew I was different but knowing that even the people who were like me didn't want me just crushed my spirit. It made me sad yet angry at the same time. I also didn't want to be born to be a dictator. I always thought that people are equal and shouldn't be treated less than others and here is this man saying that I was born to hate everyone that wasn't like me.

"You don't have to be like them though," he says catching my attention once again. "It is there loss for not coming for you as an infant.  You can come with me and I will train you to become strong and powerful. You can help me and the other Shadows come out and not be afraid anymore. We can put a stop to the rising power of the Protectors. What do you say?" as he asks he holds out his hand to me. My mind not able to think straight because of all the new information and anger. So I reach out and grab his ice cold hand as we sink into the freezing dark shadows.

As I reform I feel nauseous and dizzy. The dark room before me spinning. It takes a few moments until everything comes into focus. What I saw was now a room but an entrance to a dark old building. The building as big as a castle. Stone gray walls, dead gray grass and trees that look like they have never carried a single leaf. I follow RS (the name I decide to call him since he only introduced himself as Ruler of Shadows) up to the entrance and enter. The walls tainted black with carpet and curtains blood red. The only light came from the candles along the walls giving the area a sinister feel. Figures moving along, some shadow and some solid, yet once RS and I entered everyone cleared a pathway for us and kept their head bowed not looking up from the ground.

"Woah, is this normal?" I ask in a whisper. RS doesn't answer he just stands straighter and walks down the hall. I follow and as I walk I notice that everyone went to solid form and there were people of all ages. They all looked like normal human beings in solid form. I continue to walk and one guy looks up and we make eye contact for a split second, I give him a shy smile and he quickly looks down sheepishly. RS opens a door and walks in, I follow and the office looks no different from the halls. Plain gray walls, blood red carpet but with a desk right in front of a tall window with blood red curtains. RS moves over to what I assumed is his chair and sits down. He then waves his hand ushering me to sit, I obliged.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"Shadow Academy." he replies typing on his computer.

"Shadow Academy?"

"Yes, you will be attending here learning our ways and we will teach you to travel like shadows as well. It will be difficult but not impossible."

"If it isn't impossible, then how come the Protectors can't do it?" I ask. RS looks up from his screen for a brief second then goes back before explaining.

"I am gonna honor you with the gift of shadows. If I am the one that gives it to you that also means I can remove the gift."

"So this is just a school? Where would I be staying?" I asked full interest.

"This is a boarding school. You will be staying in our housing buildings. This is where Shadows stay from the moment they start school to the moment they end. After that they are on their own to roam the earth." He says while putting some paper work in a folder.

"So there is no Shadow community?" I ask surprised.

"We look just like humans if we stay solid. Why should we go to the trouble in trying to find an area to keep our kind in this over populated world? It is easier to just raise and educating these kids before letting them roam around. But we do meet up together twice a year. Shadows are not very populated. The Protectors have made sure of that." I saw the pure hatred for the Protectors in his eyes. I wonder if there was a deeper reason for this hatred besides the rivalry between the two.

"So when will I start?" I asked.

"Tomorrow evening," he handed me the folder. I looked through it and noticed it contained my new class schedule, room number and a card to use to unlock my door like an hotel or motel room, a paper to give to a librarian for my books and school essentials. "Classes are at night. Out during sky light is prohibited on school days. Your days off I do not care because those are my days off as well. Everything else you need will be in your room. Now wait here." he stands and walks out the room. I sit and look around the boring plain room.

I can't believe I am still here. What was I thinking? I didn't stop to think about anything or anyone. My parents… what will they think? If they even notice me being gone with them barely being home. My mind tries to think of what my life will now be like and how it will be different from my old life. My head full of many thoughts I was surprised that I actually heard the door open behind me. I turn and see RS with a boy next to him.
"Astrid, this is Alex. He will be showing you around and helping you adjust." Says RS. I stand and move over to them. I notice something familiar about the guy then I remembered he is the guy I made eye contact with in the hall. He looks my age or 13, and cute. He was an inch taller, dark messy hair, brown eyes, shy smile, strong set jaw and lean.

"Hi," I say giving him a bright smile. Alex just smiles sheepishly at me.

"Okay, Alex, first take her to the librarian to grab her books then to her room and then show her around." RS says while leading us out of his office and slamming his door shut behind him. Well I guess he was busy.

What do you think?