25

"Hey guys, come on in! We got plenty of food to feed an army... here...".his voice faltered, as if sensing the atmosphere between the two that has just got in.
The tension that enveloped them was thick enough that it could be cut by a knife, and neither of them seemed to be in the mood for talking.
Jiang Yanli, as usual, seemed to notice it right away, and she came over to her brother, Jiang Cheng giving him a quick hug.
"A-Cheng, come help me in the kitchen." She hooked her arm onto Cheng's and half dragged him into the kitchen, giving Wei Wuxian a wink, behind Cheng's back.

Wei Wuxian received the signal loud and clear, and dragged Huaisang to the balcony.
"Dude, what happened? I thought you both were just fine last night?" He pushed Huaisang on a chair and sat beside him, and Ning on the other side while Lan Wangji and Wen Qing stood a bit far, not wanting to interrupt them.
"Can I get something to eat first? I'm fucking starving." He stood up and went to the table, picking some of the dumplings and a glass of milkshake, thankfully his favourite, before he went back out to the balcony. Wei Wuxian and Wen Ning waited patiently for Huaisang to eat his fill first, but he spent the majority of the time just staring at the food.

"I guess by now you will be able to describe every single detail of that dumpling." Wuxian said. "Would you like to tell us what happened now?" He could be impatient if it concerned his friends.
"Well, yeah, I know for sure that this dumpling was bought from the little store near Lan Wangji'a house, ao that means he bought it, am I right? You see this little crease of folding of the skin is different than any other dumpling I've seen, and the filling has the special bone broth infused..."
"How do you know this?" Ning asked, surprised at the minute details Huaisang had on the tiny dumpling

"Da-ge always gets me some when he stays over at the Lans."

"Nie Huaisang!" Wei Wuxian grabbed the dumpling and almost threw it away in anger. "You're deflecting. That's how I know that something must have happened last night. Tell us please? I don't give a damn about the fucking dumpling, just...tell us. I'm worried about you guys." His own voice sounded harsh even to his own ears but he just couldn't help it.
Hearing the curse word leaving Wuxian's mouth, Lan Wangji looked up surprised and raised his eyebrow in question. He was just about to say something but Wen Qing caught his eyes and shook her head.

They were both newcomers, and they hadn't really understood the rhythm of the others' friendship yet. So they chose to observe from the side-lines, ready to offer help if needed.

Wen Ning on the other hand, patted Wei Wuxian's arm, to remind him to cool down before Huaisang's usual response of flight kicked in.
 Wei Wuxian took a few deep breaths, before he finally calmed down.
"I'm sorry I lost my cool bro, but I've been noticing this tension between you and Cheng for sometime now. Is there anything I can do to help? Please?" He squeezed Huaisang's arms in support.
Huaisang eventually let out a heavy sigh.
"We kissed..."
"About time…" Wuxian started but then shut up immediately after getting a look from Wangji. "Sorry go on…"

"Well it happened twice but both times, Cheng decided it was just the adrenaline talking and asked me to forget about it."

"You love him..." Ning said. It wasn't a question but a statement which made Huaisang look at him.

"I do. I have loved him for years and I think he likes me too but he never takes the first step."

"Then why don't you?" Ning asked innocently.

"Why don't I?" Huaisang repeated the question. "I don't know, Ning. Maybe I am scared to ruin my friendship with him. I mean we have kissed but if he always finds excuses for those instances, I think he is not ready yet. I have waited so long, I can wait longer, I suppose." A single tear rolled down his cheek as he finished talking.

"Sang…" Wuxian whispered. "I know my brother is an idiot but I don't think he means to hurt you like this."

"I know, Xian. He has always been emotionally constipated." Huaisang laughed a mirthless laughter.
"Sang, I do not know you guys that well but I have seen the way he looks at you. He has feelings for you, alright." Ning tried to offer his view.
"I agree. I guess he needs a push." Wuxian muttered.

Huaisang slurped his milkshake and then wiped the single tear as he said, "Anyway, let's not talk about it anymore today. We don't get a chance to meet like this often so let's just have some food and fun, yeah?"

Wei Wuxian finally relented, and gave him a tight hug, before dragging him to the table. He then started to pile food to his plate.

"Are you trying to kill me XianXian? I will blow up like a balloon if I eat that much. You remember what happened to Aunt Marge in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?" Huaisang, joked.

"How can I forget? We spent 3 months’ worth of pocket money to get that book!" Wuxian exclaimed, then turned towards Ning. "Ning! Tell me you have read Harry Potter!"

"I haven't, sorry…" Ning apologized.

Wuxian and Huaisang both gasped. "OK, we need to baptise him soon," Sang said.

"Seconded" Wuxian agreed.
Lan Wangji smiled at the random change in subject and walked to his bunny's side. He patted the small of the latter's back in encouragement, and Wei Wuxian had never been more grateful for it.