The Ghost Holds a Wedding - Part 5

Xie Lian sees the reason for Yin Yu's ascension the moment they start their duel.

He's clearly not a genius to whom everything comes effortlessly. Instead, his moves are simple but full of certainty born of years of practice. No one can achieve it without devoting themselves to it fully and without hesitation, striving towards that one goal that always shines brighter than the sun itself. Yin Yu is calm and patient, fights with a certainty of a good swordsman, and not once loses his composure.

They should have sparred a long time ago.

"You're good," he tells Yin Yu when they're almost nose to nose, swords crossed between their bodies. "Such a solid technique."

Yin Yu's mask lies forgotten on the floor. Only because of that does Xie Lian see a slight flush his praise brings to life. This is one thing he's noticed about Yin Yu – he's content with what he has but his ambition remains unimpeded. It changes nothing. Whatever his journey was, it led him to Ghost City and left him with a shackle around the wrist.

"It's been many years," Yin Yu admits and pushes him away. Xie Lian lets him and grins.

Fighting with San Lang is thrilling but in a way that leaves him breathless and restless, riled up to the point of wanting to push him against the wall at the slightest hint of a taunting smirk. This duel is different. It evokes the burn in his muscles, that good old friend Xie Lian has nearly forgotten. It feels like finding anew a piece of himself he has lost along the way.

It's such a magnificent feeling.

Their swords clash again and the killing intent spikes around them until the air itself is aflame. It burns away Xie Lian's worries and the perpetual feeling of bereavement after something unnamed and incomprehensible. He's searched for it far and wide only to find no sign of what he might have lost without even being aware of it. It's no surprise that he did – this is just the thing that would happen to him.

He'd like to know what it was, though. It might bring him the peace of mind he still longs for sometimes.

"Years well spent. Why haven't we done this before?"

Yin Yu hesitates for a blink of an eye and that's enough for Xie Lian to disarm him.

"I don't know." Yin Yu's panting but his face is bright and happy. "But we..."

"Yes?"

"Forgive me for being preposterous, but I wouldn't mind doing it again sometimes."

Xie Lian smiles widely. It's become such an easy thing recently, to smile. He forgot what happiness was like, having settled for quiet acceptance that only hinted at contentment.

"We have to. Whenever you're free." Which isn't often, Xie Lian knows, but what is persuasion for? Convincing San Lang to lessen Yin Yu's duties from time to time shouldn't be difficult. There's enough trust and mutual respect between the two of them for that. "Maybe we could even—"

The door opens. He casts a glance that way and leaps, deaf to Yin Yu's surprised cry and the cold rush of his own blood. A goddess in white is standing at the threshold, her mouth slack. She has no chance to react – he grabs and slams her against the corridor wall, the blade of his sword pressed to her throat.

Her eyes widen, and so do his. He remembers her face.

"You...!" she sputters but doesn't move. A wise choice.

"Your Highness?!"

Yin Yu's is at his side moments later, the mask firmly in place again. Only because of the familiarity growing between them does Xie Lian recognise the note of fear in his voice. It's a sentiment he wholeheartedly shares. So many years have passed since the last time he was in contact with the heavenly realm. The mortal world has become his home in a way Heaven never was. He's built himself out of the grime and dust of roads hardly ever taken, he's grown on the chill of winter winds and the freshness of spring rains. The summer sun has burnt him to a cinder and the mellow warmth of autumn has brought him to life again. Paths unravelled under his feet and he's taken them into himself as well, filling the emptiness with destruction that travelled in his wake.