Chapter 39

Ryan and I manage to get the kids back to the ranch. Without much of a clue as to what's been happening, we contact their uncle and aunt, getting them somewhere safe. At least until we figure out what's going on with Dakota. "You know she'll be fine right?" Ryan asks, making me grunt as I shake my head, turning to look at him.

"This can't be a coincidence. They show up having found their murdered father and now Dakota is dealing with... whatever she's dealing with." Ryan stared at me from his spot, leaned up against the railing.

"I-" He sighs and shakes his head. "I can't say that it's not weird." I have to roll my eyes as I stomp across the porch.

"Not weird? Really, that's the best you got right now." He shrugs with a sigh, making me glare at him more. Fortune Teller? Shadow? Cane? Her military ramblings left me with a puzzle. Fortune teller is more than likely Fortune and Clyde. If I had a guess it's been Isadora. But throwing hands? That worried her, too much to not be something bad.

"Digger, Koda can handle herself, you don't gotta worry about that." She has her friends out there chasing shadows with her. It was enough of a reminder to make me shake my head and drop onto a chair. There's more to worry about than just her handling herself. The rumbling engines of bikes roll up to the house, familiar faces greet me, one grinning like a fool, the other pouting. Now ain't the time for your shit. "Oh this should be fun." Ryan muttered amused as I stand to watch Axel, kick off his bike, Angel standing next to him.

"Can we talk?"

"Now ain't a good time Axel." I shake my head watching as he frowns before sighing.

"Dig, listen I was an ass but you already know this. I want to make things right." I shake my head with a sigh.

"Axel, now ain't a good time, come back later ok?" I try as Ryan's phone rings, making my heart stop. He pulls it out and sets it on speaker.

"Koda, what's going on, how can we-"

"I need the chopper, get the body basket and the large sling. Bring my go bag." Dakota cuts him off before hanging up, her voice empty, Ryan sighs and gives me a look.

"I'll go." I automatically offer and he shakes his head.

"No Digger, you gotta stay... it's better you stay here, she'll need you." I want to argue, cursing under my breath I rub my face with a growl.

"She needs me more there." Ryan shakes his head as he pushes from the railing.

"No Digger, you gotta stay here, it's how things are handled. You can't know shit." He said quietly, making me realize that things probably went more south than I had originally thought. Son of a bitch. I'm forced to watch him walk away, grabbing a small duffel from inside the house before heading out.

"Dig?" Axel calls making me look at him.

"What Axel?" He watches Ryan head out, Angel moving to stand next to her husband an unsure look on her face.

"Is everything ok here Digger?" She asked with a small frown. I wish I knew. I shrug and head inside, leaving the door open for them.

"To be honest, probably not." Snake gives a chuckle, an attempt to break the rising tension.

"What have you managed to fall apart without us?" I shoot him a look as I drop into the chair in the living room.

"What do you guys want?" Now really isn't the time I want to be facing this problem, not when my woman is out there obviously not in a good situation. And what is my ass doing? Sitting here looking pretty, how pathetic. Axel gives a grunt as he sits down on the couch with Angel.