1: Cursed Beauty

© Copyright All Rights Reserved 2012

                                                                Image of Kamari

                                                               1: Cursed Beauty 

I GENTLY RAISED the end of my pencil to my lips, distractedly nibbling on the eraser as my eyes strayed to the huge, wooden clock on the plain white wall. It was as if each soft click it make was taunting me, as the long hand slowly edged towards the huge five, indicating the end of class.

             I glanced back towards the gigantic screen at the front of the classroom, where, using the projection from his laptop, Professor Claude introduced yet another complicated mathematical formula. Was he aware that class would be dismissed in less than a minute? It made no sense for him to continue now, when it was insanely obvious that he wouldn't finish. Oh well. It was his lecture, not mine.

               I gently tugged the small, pink eraser from between my lips and began to quietly gather my things. All I had was my Yak Pak backpack and my Kindle HD+ tablet used specifically for my textbooks and class notes. Glancing back up at the screen, I make a quick mental note to retrieve these notes from Carla, one of my classmates.

             Just then, as predicted, the lights suddenly flickered to life in the huge auditorium, indicating the end of class. Professor Claude quickly wrapped up the section, even as students began to pile out of the classroom. I quickly stood up and joined the crowd, but before anyone could exit the classroom Professor Claude yelled, "Don't forget that you're fifteen page research paper is due this Friday! No exceptions!" I groaned internally, even as many people groaned loudly around me. Why on earth was I required to take chemistry?

                As I exited the auditorium, I took a short moment to savor the gorgeous weather. The bright sun was shining in a crystal blue sky, the temperature reaching a comforting seventy two degrees, perfect mid-September weather. With my books in hand, I quickly recounted the events of my day to determine whether or not I would have to stop by my mother's house for anything. To my disappointment, I had left my Calculus book at home today, completely forgetting that I had an assignment due tomorrow in class.

               There was a reason why I avoided my mother, and it all narrowed down to the unmistakable fact that she was too overprotective. Of course, she would have been like any other mother if it weren't for the fact that she was a powerful witch, and for my grandmother's revelation. When I was born, and my grandmother held me for the first time, she was able to identify me as the Key; a beautiful being that held an enormous amount of power only given to one person. Of course, the only way the power could be transmitted was through sex. It was bad enough that, according to my mother, I was extremely beautiful, but to add on being the Key too? I would have been raped within hours, without the consideration or sympathy of being a newborn baby. The the power would have been lost forever then, of course; the only way a male could receive the power was if it sex was consensual.

                 Even with this under consideration, I would have been broken, and my mother would have never forgiven herself if anything ever happened to me. So, to protect me, my identity was kept under safe lock and key; although the humans weren't aware of our supernatural existence, the immortals were. They just weren't aware of my identity, something that would continue for many centuries to come hopefully.

                Crossing the busy parking lot to my car, I recalled a conversation I'd had with my mother when I was thirteen, the first time she'd honestly told me about my true identity. She'd told me that one day, in a very long time, that she knew that I would have sex. Then she made me promise that I'd only have sex with the person I could see living forever with and someone worthy of obtaining that amount of power. I promised with out hesitance.