62 ↝ Cloud Nine

"Dancing through our house,
with the ghost of you,
And I chase it down with a shot of truth."
Ghost Of You — 5 Seconds Of Summer

"So it worked?" Nessa's blue eyes widen at me, her fork midair, inches away from her mouth with a piece of waffle on it

I smile at my best friend sitting across from me, nodding. "It worked. She said yes."

Everyone around me bursts into cheers, the boys leaning over from their seats to clap me on the back, and I shrivel in embarrassment, seeing the other people that are at the breakfast buffet glancing our way.

"Where is she?" Kye asks, shovelling a sausage in his mouth.

"In the shower, she'll come down soon." I say, reaching for my glass of orange juice, letting the cool liquid slip down my throat.

After a few minutes, my friends' excessive excitement dies down as all of them start diving into their breakfasts, the boys on edge about practice that we have all day today, and the finals match we have in just the day after tomorrow. I can't believe that we've made it to the NCAA finals, and that we have a good shot at bringing that championship home. Last year's loss will only make this years win even sweeter.

I'm poking my waffle with my fork, my mind whirring about the match, when I feel a soft hand on my shoulder. My eyes immediately snap up to meet Alex's, my heart immediately doing a catapult at the sight of her. Damp brown hair left down her shoulders, high waisted shorts that show off her long, tan legs and her beautiful face bare and bright.

But before I can say anything, our table goes up in cheers again, this time directed at Alex, everyone ecstatic that we're finally officially together. Apparently some of these fuckers have been betting on how long it'll take for me to get my shit together and ask her out. Assholes, every single one of them, but I love them with all my heart. Without their help, I wouldn't have been able to pull off last night.

Alex flushes red at the attention, slowly sitting down next to me. As she talks to everyone, I slide my hand onto her lap under the table, grabbing a hold of her thigh and caressing her bare skin. Her soft hands come over mine, holding them, and I smile to myself. I look at her, watching her laugh, as flashbacks of last night blink through my head.

Holy shit, I'm in love. And she's in love with me. And we had the best fucking sex ever.

It feels like a dream, because I never in a million years expected to be in this position. Head over heels in love with a girlfriend. Ever since I can remember, the idea of love and relationships were so taboo and uncomfortable to me, because the only example of 'love' I saw growing up was my parents. And I didn't want anything to do with that kind of love.

Alex changed all of that. She showed me what love really is, taught me that it's more than what I grew up seeing. That what my parents had wasn't love, that what I have with her is.