Distance (Chapter 9)

This chapters out early because I'm going to be watching fireworks for awhile before 12, which is when chapters usually come out.
NO TW OR SPOILER ALERTS. PLEASE DON'T PUT MANGA SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS- thanks.

(Y/N) was exceptionally surprised to find Mikey waiting outside of the apartment complex the next morning. Where is Draken? When she first saw him she had thought maybe he had come with Draken, but as she looked around over the side of the railing, Draken was nowhere to be found. Mikey waves up at her. (Y/N) hurries from her front door to Mikey's side.

"Heya, (Y/N)-Chin!" Says Mikey happily. "Ken-Chin couldn't make it so I came to drive you."

"What? Is he okay?" Asks (Y/N). She worries for Draken. He had seemed fine yesterday so why couldn't he come pick her up? She didn't mind Mikey doing it since the two are friends, but she would much rather it be Draken.

"He's fine he just has some business to do this morning. I also want to bring you to the bridge with us again. It's a common hangout place for Toman's founding members." Says Mikey. He pats the seat behind him so that (Y/N) will sit down.

Once she's sat down and wrapped her arms loosely around his sides Mikey starts the bike. "You know, this is my first time ever riding your bike."

"Yeah, I know. Draken always refuses to let you ride with anyone else." Says Mikey, dramatically rolling his eyes. (Y/N) nods. Draken and her have become quite close within the last two months. Closer than she had ever been with friends before the move, at least. It was the same with Takemichi and Mikey. "I like you, (Y/N)-Chin. We need to hang out more."

"Mikey-Kun, I see you everyday—"

"I mean just us. We're best buddies after all!" Exclaims Mikey. "You hang out with Draken all the time, why not me? Do you not like me as much as Draken-Kun or something?"

"I just only ever see you when other people are around. It's not my fault." Explains (Y/N). "What can we do?"

"Well, it's gonna be us and a few other members at the bridge after school, but I'm sure you and I can find something to do!" Says Mikey. He nods to himself.

"Sure. But let's finish everything else that needs to be done first, Mikey-Kun." (Y/N) thinks about the plans she now has for later. That bridge again, huh? Then a thought pops into her head. "Does that mean Draken will be there?"

"I don't think so. He might if I brag about you coming there tonight. He's preoccupied right now, but not for the entire day so he might show up." Says Mikey. "Enough about Draken, you are my bestie, (Y/N)-Chin! What do besties talk about?"

"Please keep your eyes on the road—"

"Boys! I've heard Emma talking to her friends about her crushes. Tell me, (Y/N), what's your ideal partner?" Asks Mikey.

"Oh, uhm— I like a good personality I guess—"

"Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say." Says Mikey. He turns around to give (Y/N) a skeptical look, but he abruptly turns back around when he almost crashes the bike.

"Mikey-Kun, if you crash the bike then I'm never letting you drive me to school again." Says (Y/N) flatly. Mikey doesn't try to turn around and look at her again the entire ride.

"Have a good day at school, (Y/N)-Chin!" Calls Mikey as he vigorously waves at her.

"Yeah, bye, Mikey-Kun." Says (Y/N) as she waves back. Her face turned a faint shade of pink when she saw how many people were watching her. Why was it always like this?

***

(Y/N) went from class to class that day unable to cover up her excitement as the minutes ticked by. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. She had a pop quiz that day and she was certain she aced it, but it made her day seem to go by even slower. She tried to take Draken off of her mind, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't. She had difficulty paying attention and keeping her hand away from her necklace during class.