The Football Game

I looked in the mirror and laughed. My hair was up in a gelled band bun for the football game tonight. It was the first one of the season. Butterflies danced in my stomach because I still couldn't even remember my dots in the spirit show. I pulled out my phone and saw a text from my best friend, Aimee, waiting for me. Her band bun was just as ridiculous as mine. I breathed a sigh of relief and left for the bus stop.

By fifth period, little wispies were already falling out of my hair. I was planning on studying for my biology test during lunch, but fixing my hair and escaping the wrath of the band directors was more important. A bunch of gorgeous cheerleaders were already standing in front of the bathroom mirror, so I had to elbow my way in between them. I didn't plan on being friends with any cheerleaders, so why be polite?

Since our game was an away game, I had to sit through a 45 minute bus ride. I was saving the spot next to me for Aimee, but then this tuba player guy I've never seen before in my life plops down next to me. "Why hello there," he says as he winks at me. Great. It's the first week of school and I already have an admirer. I wasn't in the mood to talk since I was almost positive I'd just failed my biology test, so I just sat there and listened to the guy talk about himself. Apparently his name is Stuart and he thinks he's God's gift to man.

Walking onto the field is exhilarating. The lights shine bright and you can see everyone in the stands. It made me feel very small and insignificant. I wasn't paying attention, so I missed the snare player's tap off. I was a step behind, so I hurried to catch up, but then I hit the girl next to me with my flute. It caught me so off guard that I tripped. I tried to catch myself with my hands, but then I realized I was holding my flute. I landed on my face and the turf streaked my face with black. My glasses dug into the bridge of my nose, so now my nose is probably going to bruise. I wiped off my face and my white gloves turned black and red. Oh gosh. I'm bleeding, and now the band directors are going to kill me for ruining my gloves. There was nothing I could do about it right now, so I stood up quickly and immediately tried to get back in step and forget about how much I'll have to polish my flute after touching it with my grimy gloves. I smiled and pretended like I was ok. On the inside, though, I was mortified.

The rest of the game was a blur. I'm not even sure if we win or lost, and I didn't care either way. Once we got back in the stands, Aimee tried to help me clean up in the bathroom, but it was no use. We were at one of those schools that was convinced paper towels were insanitary so they only had hand dryers. Thank goodness Stuart slept the whole way back. It was the only good thing about my day.

When I got home and brushed off all the attention my mom was giving me, I ran up to my room and started to cry. It was my freshman year, and I wanted to establish a good reputation for myself. Now I was probably just going to be known as the high-maintenance freshman.

I take a bath even though it's already midnight and even take the time to blow dry my long, curly dark-chocolate brown hair. It's not like I don't have any friends. I have Aimee and my other friend Celeste. I just wanted to impress the upperclassman. It's hard enough to impress people since I'm 5 feet tall and itty bitty.

I slide under the covers and check my phone. I groan because Celeste sent me five texts about all of her drama with her boyfriend, Bennet. This is why I don't care about guys.

I fall asleep quickly, but not fast enough for me to not think about how hard it will be to face the upperclassmen tomorrow at school.