Chapter 36: Birthday

I used my time over the weekend to shop for things I might need to make Kid's birthday special. There were some cheap decorations at a party store I found, but it was hard to avoid all the Halloween stuff. I stock up on foods he likes, and hide them in the back of the refrigerator. There aren't any gifts I can really get him, since he is rich, but I still wanted to do something.

During the week, I asked our friends during class, lunch, after school, and by text about coming over for a party on his birthday.

Maka had a halloween party planned and everyone already knew about it. I love the girl, but really? Is no one going to come to their friend's birthday? Even Liz and Patty were planning to go to Maka's!

A few people said they'd try and visit for his birthday, but I warned them not to wear anything Halloween related.

Friday night I stayed up insanely late. I hid my gift under my bed and hung up decorations while he was asleep. I knew they had to be precise, so I found a level and made sure they were straight as well as symmetrical. I got my outfit ready for the day and left it out so I could get it on the next day. It was items Liz told me he said I'd look nice in while they were at the mall. I went back and bought them so I could surprise him.

It's 3AM when I finally get ready to go to bed.

"Happy birthday," I whisper in his direction before falling asleep.

*****

I only got a few hours of sleep, but I wanted to be able to see his reaction as well as being the first to say anything to him. I got dressed and waited by my door to listen for him leaving his room. I hear the doorknob turn, so I stand outside my door. As soon as he opens it, I yell, "Happy birthday, Kid!"

He looks tired, but I can see his smile through the mess of hair in front of his face.

"Thank you," He looks up above the doors where I hung decorations. There's two banners that say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" above my door as well as the Thompsons'.

"You even made them symmetrical," He looks back at me.

"Of course, I wasn't gonna let you get stressed about something so early in the morning," He smiles again and turns to look at his door. Silver, black, and white streamers spiral down the door frame.

"How did you know I liked-"

"I'm not oblivious," I turn away, "I'll be cooking, once you're done getting ready, we can eat," I head down the hallway.

"(Y/N)," He calls to me so I stop and turn around, "This is already my best birthday I've had," The corners of his mouth lift slightly and he goes into the bathroom. I head downstairs to begin cooking his favorite breakfast.

Once he comes down, I press the button on the coffee machine and flip a waffle onto a plate.

"This one's yours," I place the plate down at his spot at the table and continue cooking for myself and the sisters.

"How did you know I liked-"

"'These are my favorite, especially when Liz puts bananas in the-'" I mockingly quote him.

"Okay, I get it," He laughs. I toss my waffle onto a plate and bring his mug of coffee over when I sit down.

"This is even my favorite mug, how do you keep doing this?"

"I listen," I say, stuffing my mouth with food to avoid elaborating.

When I hear Liz and Patty coming down the stairs, I stand back up and cook theirs for them.