𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐚 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐭, 𝐯𝐢𝐬 𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐦𝐚

a f t e r

a f t e r

Snow peppered against their skin, but Draco couldn't feel a lick of cold. He was relieved it had worked, not particularly fond of dying of hyperthermia anytime soon.

Alexandre was ahead of them, leading the way with Adeline only shortly behind. Dean was in the back, apparently taking his time to walk up the snowy slope. They all had packs with them filled with food and water, and any other mundane hiking things they may need. It hadn't taken too long to get to the start of the hike they'd began after they left the house. The sun had only just begun to peak up behind them, throwing some light to where exactly they were walking.

They had emerged from the dense parts of the large forest of lush green trees, the sunrise waiting for them, birds chirping into the new day. Tall, pillowing pine trees still scattered around them, branches covered in snow. Draco looked up, quietly admiring the patterns of the trees above them, a portrait of snow spirits and shadowy ghosts of branches. 

There was a fallen trunk he could spot, covered in snow and partially hidden away. He could only see it if he squinted but it was there.

The longer they walked, the brighter the snow at their feet appeared. Soon it was shining crystals and blinding light.

The incline steepens and his breath comes out in short puffs, the wound on his chest beginning to throb. It had healed quite well considering, but after hours of exertion, his body was aching. It must have been after midday by now. Alexandre had been talking on and off throughout the day, mostly to himself since no one else would listen. Sometimes Adeline would respond, just to tell him to shut up, as Dean still hung back walking in silence.

The trek feels never-ending and Draco's beginning to feel fatigued when the afternoon sun reduces the crisp feeling of air growing through his lungs. His body is sore and his chest hurts, but he won't be the reason they stop. He keeps himself occupied with thoughts of last night – the guys who had jumped him just as he rounded the corner from the house, dragged him away and kept him in some abandoned shop for hours. They'd drugged him when they had the first chance and when he finally came to, he'd fought his way out. It was rather annoying when they pulled out a sharp butcher's knife, but still, he managed to get back. 

Into the grasps of Adeline's healing hands while he bled out on her brother's desk. 

That Alexandre was a real peach.

Eventually, as the sky coloured with oranges and pinks, they stop beneath a tightly packed group of trees, branches hanging low and crooked like hands reaching out for them. They set up camp, Draco making a fire as Alexandre lounged on his pack and Adeline spoke lowly with Dean.

When the fire was finished, they all sat down and quietly began eating their food. Adeline sat beside Draco, finding a wooden stump to sit on near him.

"How are you holding up?" She asked him, taking a small bite of her packed food. Her eyes were bright from the reflection of the fire, and it was like there was a glowing lustre in the air around them.