02

Since Tom cannot hold himself any longer, he stalks across campus. It is a late Tuesday night, overcast and cold. There is little nightlife on campus; while there is a pub people rarely frequent on weeknights. Campus is empty. He keeps his head down but his eyes dart around him, hoping to see anyone he recognizes. His hands are shoved deep in his pockets, trying to retain their warmth.

He gets to the meeting spot. It's a professor's cottage. The building lacks a plaque like the others, which is odd to Tom. He cannot tell to whom the house belongs. Though he wishes to stalk around to see if there is a back door, he instead waits by the side.

It's at cold moments like these that he wishes he smoked. Tobacco is bad for the throat, and his voice is precious. It needs to be projected at large volumes, else he loses his scholarship. Tom does not consider himself a big worrier, but he the scholarship is another beast.

"Hello!" he hears a voice in the darkness.

Someone, with a mess of curly hair but a sharp outfit, comes around the corner. They stick out their hand. "I'm Roman. Roman Welshly."

Tom nods, offers a polite smile and turns slightly, trying to go back to what he is doing. However, it is hard to get back to looking casual while waiting for something when you've been interrupted.

"It's awfully chilly," Roman says. "I'm not used to the cold. In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer."

"Sorry?" Tom asks, finally looking over.

Roman shakes it off. "It's Camus. Nevermind."

They are interrupted by approaching footsteps. Roman is hoping that the next person to arrive seems more engaging. The current stranger, who has yet to introduce himself and is standing in shadow, seems reluctant to be approached. Roman will not be deterred.

Tom sees the woman who approaches and is shocked by her beauty. He keeps his mouth closed, thankfully, but cannot help but become enthralled by her appearance. She is an ingenue, as told by the bard himself.

When Vieira steps in with them, she doesn't know if they are here to greet her, or they are waiting to be greeted. She looks at both of them, eyes wide.

"I'm Roman, and who-"

"Thompson," Tom says. He looks at Vieira, waiting for a response. "Tom, actually."

Roman's eyes widen. With an accent like that, this guy has got to be paying exorbitant tuition fees. Roman comes from money, but their mother already feels that Hawkwood is a bit of a waste. They cannot imagine coming here if they lived elsewhere.

Vieira smiles. She finds her words caught up in a jumble, and she looks down and blushes. People like the look of a flustered woman rather than one with an anxious disposition. For some reason, she wants this Tom to like her. Perhaps it's his soft eyes, or his perfect smile that draws her in. She looks at the contours of his face and suddenly believes that only a god could have sculpted him. "I'm Vieira. An art major."

~~~

Both Briar and Ellie leave their dorm at the same time. They take the same exit, Briar holding the open door for Ellie as she makes her escape. It is only a few seconds before they realize that they are walking in the same direction.

Not wanting to cause another woman walking alone at night any distress, Ellie takes the long route. She hurries along up the other path, hoping that she isn't late. When she makes it around to the house, she arrives at the same time as Briar.