f i f t e e n

[ s a w y e r ]

Once Masen started, he couldn't stop. He didn't cry himself to sleep, but he came pretty close to it. He was so calm in his sleep, his breathing steady. I stayed up a good portion of the night, just to watch him sleep. I was only getting tired when I laid my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

I don't know when I fell asleep, exactly, but both of us woke up the next morning by a roll of thunder so loud that it shook the house. I left the bed to peek out passed the pulled curtains, it was down pouring.

"So much for the skate park." Masen said, sourly, from behind me.

"We'll make it there, eventually." I laid on my stomach and faced him; he was staring blankly at the ceiling with his hands on his stomach. We'd been cuddling all night but at some point, we'd rolled away from each other. "Other than that, how are you feeling?"

He blinked a few times and then looked at me. "Better now that it's off my chest, but still shitty." He brushed his thumb over my lip. "I'll be okay, though."

I smiled and pecked his forehead. "Do you want breakfast? I'm no Gordon Ramsey but I can make pancakes."

He hesitated, "do you have chocolate chips?"

"Yeah."

"Then I'm sold."

He went to the bathroom while I called my grandma, letting her know I lived to see another day and started to make the pancakes from scratch. And by scratch, of course I meant a box of bisquick. Masen joined me just as I started to pour the batter into the pan.

"Do you like yours crispy or fluffy? Personally, I think the crispy ones are better but I'll make them however you like them." I dropped a couple chocolate chips in each of them.

"Make them however you want, I'm not picky." He shrugged and rested his chin on my shoulder, his arms around my waist.

I craned my neck so that I could kiss his temple and proceeded to flip the first pancake, perfectly. "I like this...I mean, it just being the two of us. It's kinda like what living together would be like."

"You would wanna move in together?" Why did he sound so in shock.

"Of course I would. Why wouldn't I?"

He shrugged but didn't really give me an answer. Instead, he squeezed me tight and let me go to stand by the window. "The rain doesn't look like it's gonna stop anytime soon."

"So, what you're really saying is that we're stuck in the house all day?" I platted the last pancake and shut off the burner.

"That's exactly what I'm saying." We sat across from one another to eat but while he started, I hesitated. "What is it?"

"...Wanna take a shower?"

We finished eating and cleaned up; helping each other load and unload the dishwasher. I led him to the bathroom and started the water, getting it nice and hot. Masen was already naked and waiting patiently. I could feel his eyes on me as I stripped down. It was like the day at the lake all over again. Only so much better. I climbed in the back while Masen stood under the shower head.