Chapter Six: Checkers

Camille's P.O.V.

Hayden, Juliet, Bryce and I had decided to hang out in the library since we had all finished our lunches and had about 25 minutes left of lunch.

"So, you're into... aliens?" I asked Bryce, he shook his head irritatedly. He had been trying to explain to me his alien watching hobby since he sat down at our table.

"No, no. Astronomy." He explained, waving his hands around.

"I think my uncle had that removed..." I said confused. Hayden laughed and Juliet smiled.

"Hey! I made you smile!" I yelled, poking Juliet's face. She blushed and looked away.

"She's a little shy. Anyway, astronomy isn't something you can get removed it's--" Bryce interrupted.

"So what did he have removed?" I yelled, now worrying for my uncle's health.

"I don't know!" He yelled back.

"Why are you so shy?" I ignored Bryce and directed my attention to Juliet.

"Oh my gosh, Camille. you can't just ask people why they're shy." Hayden gasped.

We walked into the library and found a table in the back. There were a few nerds studying and reading and stuff but other than that it was pretty much empty.

 "Sorry. It was just a question. You don't need to go all Gretchen Wieners on me..." I mumbled. "So, could someone please explain Astronautanonomy to me?"

"Astronomy" Bryce sighed.

"Whatever. Explain."

"It's when you study stars"

"Like Kim Kardashian?"

"No, not--"

"I hear she's pregnant." I said, "I wonder what she'll name it..."

"I don't know what she'll name it, Camille." He covered his face with his hands.

"You can call me Cami" I smiled.

"That's my grandmothers cat's name..." Hayden commented, I glared at him.

"Well now it's my name."

We continued our conversation on Anatomy or whatever until the bell rang. I had Science but Hayden had Math. We didn't have many classes together, which worried me. That's like telling a mother bear that she has't to leave her cub on the edge of a volcano for about three hours everyday. Yes, I just referred to myself as a mother bear and yes, I consider Hayden my bear cub. But during lunch I had discover that Bryce had two classes with Hayden and I and Juliet had one with both of us and one with Hayden. That got the old brain wheels turning, what makes lonely nerd happy? a girlfriend! 

Let plan get-Hayden-to-ask-Juliet-out commence!

Hayden's P.O.V.

As the bell rang I stood from the library tabled, gathering my books for Math. I looked over at Camille to see her making a strange face. 

"Camille, are you ok?" I asked nervously. Bryce and Juliet looked at her also and she smiled a little too sweetly.

"Oh I'm just wonderful, Hayden dear, could I have a word with you?" 

"You sound like my mother..." I mumbled as I walked towards her. She pulled me behind a bookcase out of sight.

"I have a plan!" She whispered excitedly.

"A plan ?" I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion, "For what?" 

"For you! It's perfect"

"Ok..." I sighed.

"OK!" She clapped, then looked through the cracks of the book shelves.

"Are you going to tell me what it is?"

"Oh, oh yeah. See Juliet.." She pointed towards her.

I peered through the crack. Juliet was talking to Bryce. She was playing with her blonde braid, I could see her grey eyes through her glasses. She smiled a shy smile which showed small dimples. This is the first time I really looked at her, she was kind of cute. I wondered how I'd never seen her before, but then again, she did kind of seem like the invisible type. Like those girls no one sees and likes it that way. I pulled myself away after I noticed I had been staring.

"Yeah.." I whispered, turning back o Camille.

"I think you should ask her out!"

"Wh-what..?" I stuttered. I looked back at Juliet and blushed, "I don't think I can.." 

"Why not! I think she really likes you, you're both shy and adorable!" She tried to reason with me, "Wait, what do you mean you don't think you can?" 

"Well, I-I guess I'd like to....but I'm not really good at socialization, or with girls.." I scratched the back of my head.

"Oh Hayden, I have to go but this isn't over. Talk to her." She patted my shoulder and walked away. I followed her out to find Juliet alone.

"Where's Bryce?" I asked, looking around the room.

"He had to go to class, he doesn't like to be late... I thought I might... wait for you because we have math together..." She trailed off, looking down. I smiled at her shyness and thought about what Camille had said.

"Oh, yeah... thanks. Let's go" 

We started walking to our next class in silence. I stole a glance at her every once in a while and every time she was looking at her feet. Suddenly she jumped. I stopped and looked at the ground, confused.

"What are you doing..?" I asked hesitantly. She looked at me with suprise and then blushed and hugged herself.

"I, uh... well I play this game, when I... when I walk to class. I um, can only step on.. on the blue tiles.. it's kind of fun.." She whispered. I laughed.

"Mind if I try?" She nodded and then jumped to one of the blue tiles. I followed suit and landed on one next to her. 

We laughed as we jumped down the hallway towards our class.

"We're going to be late.." Juliet giggled.

"That's ok." I jumped in front of her, "This is kind of like checkers.." 

"How?" She asked, jumping in front of me.

"I dunno.." I laughed.

We jumped the rest of the way to class, laughing the whole way.