Chapter Twenty - Teaching and Fighting

After a routine visit with the physical therapist, Daniel and I got on the bus and made our way to the gym for his first class in over a year. I could tell he was nervous as his rambling had gone from endearing to down right annoying.

"Did you know that it's impossible to hum while holding your nose? Have you ever tried it? I tried to get Kyle to try it once but he ignored me. Miguel tried it and his mind was blown. It's just such a weird fact. I wonder what the connection is from the nose to the throat. Do you know what that is? I mean you must or you'd be a pretty bad nurse, but it would be hilarious if you had no idea. Or what if you weren't actually a nurse but a crazy stalker? Lucas had a stalker once. Some crazy chick that followed him to grocery stores. I wonder what happened to her. I think her name was Heather or maybe-"

"-Daniel, hon, you're going to have to stop talking so much if we're going to survive this trip." I interrupted, rubbing my fingers to my temples.

He gave me a sheepish look, "I'm a little nervous," he confessed.

"I couldn't tell," I replied drily.

"It's just been such a long time since I've done anything like this and I can't imagine how it's going to work without my legs."

"Daniel, people have been defending themselves for ages in all kinds of physical states. Do you seriously think there was never a fighter who was in a wheelchair?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

He shrugged, "Maybe you're right."

"Psh," I scoffed, "I am right."

We arrived at Lucas's gym and made our way to the door. I smiled as I noticed the wheelchair accessible entrance. I hadn't noticed it before. We entered the building to see a similar scene to the one from the last time I was here - sans a sweaty Frank. Men loitered around, smoking or working out, or sometimes both at the same time.

Lucas was in his office and emerged when he saw us, his eyes were hard and if I could guess, I would say he looked apprehensive.

"Hey, Lucas!" Daniel chirped, clearly excited.

He nodded at him, his eyes doing a sweep over me before returning to his brother. "Let's get started."

"Are we doing a class?" Daniel began to follow after Lucas to an empty corner of the gym.

"I thought we'd do one on one today." He replied grabbing some boxing gloves and handing them to his brother before sliding a pair of punch mitts onto his large hands. I walked towards a bench against the wall and sat down, watching the two.

"Hit," commanded Lucas holding his bulging arms out. He flexed his arms, awaiting the hit and I admired the curve of his muscles and the way his tattoos seemed to wrap around them. This was a fine view.

Daniel punched and kept repeating, seemingly getting frustrated at the height Lucas kept his arms at.

"Harder," Lucas said stoically, his body unflinching, his face expressionless. Daniel complied, sweat beading down his forehead.

Daniel punched with vigour for twenty minutes before he was panting and his arms started to shake. I frowned in concern, but I wasn't sure if I should intrude on Daniel's lesson. Did he want to stop?

"Keep going," Lucas stated, his hands remained in the same position.

Daniel hesitated for a moment, his panting showing his exhaustion.

"Maybe we should take a break?" I asked as I took Daniel's red face in.

I looked at Lucas to shoot him a warning glare, but he was staring impassively at Daniel, "If he can't keep up he shouldn't have asked for lessons."

I frowned at his attitude but Daniel spoke up before I could, "It's fine, I'll keep going."

He continued to punch, his arms shaking, his breath and quickening.

"Harder," Lucas prodded.

"I'm," he panted, "going as hard as I can."

"It's not enough," he replied gruffly.

I shot up, "Okay, I'm calling a break." I walked next to Daniel and shot Lucas a harsh look. I hoped he could hear my unspoken words of you're being a complete ass, but by the stoic look on his face, he couldn't.

"There aren't any breaks," he said cooly, his icy eyes showing no emotion.

"Well, maybe there should be," I stressed as I stared him down.

"You wanted the classes, Emily. Here they are," he turned to look at me and his blue eyes flashed with something I couldn't quite read.

I squared my shoulders, "What kind of teacher are you if you can't do what's best for your students? For your brother?"

Daniel placed his hand on my arm and I looked down at him, seeing the pain in his eyes. "Let's go."

I opened my mouth to argue but shut it quickly, nodding instead.

He began to wheel away and I followed, hesitating as Daniel opened the door, leaving the gym. I stomped my way back to Lucas in a huff.

"What the hell was that?" I asked in a state of pure anger.

He eyes locked in on mine, "That was my class. I told you it was a bad idea."

"That wasn't a class. You just embarrassed him. You shouldn't have done it if you didn't want to!"

He snorted in return, "I didn't want to. You pushed, Emily." He reached into his back pocket for a pack of cigarettes and pulled one out, lighting it, and sliding it between two fingers, taking a long drag.

I looked at him in disdain. I can't believe how selfish he was being. "Daniel just wants to be close to you. I don't understand why you can't see that. Don't kill his spirit by putting your anxieties on him."

I turned on my heel but turned around just as quickly, "And put out your goddamn cigarette or do you really not have anyone in your life that you care about?"

I stomped my way back out of the gym, fuming as I did so. Daniel waited by the door and as I approached, I could see unshed tears pooling in his eyes. My heart dropped and I leaned down in front of him, "Daniel," I wrapped my arms around him and he returned the gesture, snuffling on my shoulder, "You're amazing. Don't let a crap day your brother's having change your goal. You're going to fight even if I have to learn with you."

He let out a small chuckle, "You'd be a horrible fighter."

"I would not. I'm a great yoga student. Sort of." I smiled as I stood up and took in his splotchy face. "Come on, let's go home." He nodded, following me to the bus stop. This time I rambled so that I could distract him as much as possible, but my mind never strayed from my anger towards Lucas for ruining this for his brother.