CH.4 ONI Base

F/N P.O.V.

???: "C'mon kid, you have to do better than that"

Huh? What it's happening?

F/N:"Wha-what?"

I looked around me to see I was in home. How did I get here? I was wearing my training outfit, the one I used when dad and I trained together. I was tired and bruised, my father in front of me, with a similar outfit. Am i dreaming?

Keyes: "What's the matter? Tired alredy?"

I got up from my kneeling position and faced him, getting into a battle stance. Father lunged at me, and I did the same. I always trained with him, 3 times per week. He always helped me with anything miltary related. How to fight, how to aim, how to control my breathing in order to keep my cool in bad situations... my childhood was like that, always.

Suddenly, I was pushed back to the ground, facing the floor, father's boot on my back.

Keyes:"This time, you were better, but there is always room for improvement." He moves to the side and gives me a hand. "You only have 1 more year before you have the age required to join the marines, so hurry up soldier, I don't want my son to be a pushover."

I take his hand, and get back on my feet.

Keyes:"Now, wake up."

F/N:"I'm sorry dad, what?"

Keyes:"Wake up"

F/N:"I don-"

Keyes:"WAKE UP!"

I suddenly woke up from my dream, seeing Noble Six's helmet looking right at me.

Noble Six:"You are a heavy sleeper, you know that?"

I got out of the covers and sat straight.

F/N:"Sorry. Why are you on your armor so soon?"

Noble Six:"You don't know when we are getting deployed, better be prepared for anything."

I sighed and got up, going towards the door.

Noble Six:"Where are you going?"

F/N:"To the armory."

I exited the barracks, Noble Six right behind me and went straight to the armory. It was pretty early in the morning, so not many people were outside, just some marines patrolling.

I entered the armory and saw Kat there, on her Spartan armor, but without her helmet. She was looking at her magnum, probably making sure everything was fine, till she saw us.

Kat:"Six, Seven."

Six said a little hey, but I didn't answer, focused on getting my armour.

Kat:"We got a mission, so be ready, we we'll depart in an hour. Grab your guns too."

Six went to get her guns, while i was putting my suit. I turned my back to them while changing, but I could still sense a gaze on me.

Kat:"Six, can you wait outside, please?"

Six looked at me, and I nodded, so she went outside without saying anything.

Kat:"I wanted to apologise for my behavior yesterday. You are right, it's none of my concern."

I was putting on my armor while she was talking, "It's okay, water under the bridge" I said, but she was not satisfied.

Kat:"Look, if there's anything I can do to make it up to you, I'm all ears."

I looked at her, finally all suited up, but I keep my helmet off.

F/N:"Just, please, wait till I'm ready to talk about my past, that's all I ask."