Chapter 26 "Flee"

Meadow POV

Mercenary unbuckled her sword from her holster. "No, no! You don't wanna do this. I know people who have power! I know people who'd kill you if you hurt me!" I lie. The only person who I know would do that is Sirocco. And that'd be if she ever finds out what happened to me. To my surprise, Mercenary slashes the rope connecting the net to the tree. Shire hits the ground with a thud, he's crying out in pain, as am I. Mercenary looks down upon us with a toothy smile. She climbs down he tree and heaves the net over her shoulder. She drags Shire across the ground as he cries out in pain. "You don't know what you!re getting yourself into" I growl. "Oh, but I do." Mercenary replies. Just then, I think about the knife I have hidden in my jacket. I would get my sword, but it's tied to Shire. It'd be to painful for me to get that now. Instead I start sawing at the rope net. To my surprise, Mercenary doesn't seem to notice. "Would you stop struggling. You're worse than deer who get themselves trapped" Mercenary growls. Suddenly, the net bursts through and Shire falls over onto his knees. He then proceeds to jump up and run off. I fall through onto the ground and run after Shire. "You fucking thought!" I yell. That's when I notice Mercenary's not chasing me. Instead she's holding out the carved sheep and laughing. I can't turn back now. Continuing Sirocco's mission is more important. 

Finally, I catch up to Shire and manage to calm him down. I mount him and we continue along on our journey. I stare at the map as we ride along. We're out of Mercenary and Hunter's lands. So we're only an hour or so away from Southleap hills. Good. Just then, Shire collapses to the ground. He breathes heavily and pants. Sweat rolls down his fur. I don't know what to do. It'd be cruel to leave him here for dead. And it'd be as cruel to make him continue on the journey with me. I come to conclusion that I need to kill him. Sirocco won't be happy when I return and tell her that. I remove Shire's saddle and untie my sword from his back. I secure my sword to my waist and remove all that I can from him. He's just a limp pile of flesh and bones now. His chest barely rises or falls with each breath. I need to do it. I take my scarf from my bag and wrap it around Shire's eyes. "Shhhh boy, it's okay. It's okay" I reassure him. He panics and tries to run, but fails to get back onto his hooves. "From one hoofed animal to another. I'm sorry" I tell him as I raise my sword high to the sky and just hold it there.

I can't decide wether or not to do it. It'd be like hurting someone I loved. He may be a horse, but that doesn't change the fact that I still love and care for him. I swing down my sword and slash Shire's neck open, breaking his spine with the blow. Blood trickles into the forest floor. But Shire's no longer suffering. I continue walking, trying to escape what I'd just did. Two or so hours later, I finally stumble upon Southleap hills. 

It's a nice little town. Children play in the streets and creatures trade in the square with each other. I notice there's a huge Woodlands Allegiance banner draped in the town square. I take out my bow and one single arrow. I swipe the arrow against a tree, igniting the arrow. Sirocco designed these specially to catch fire. I shoot the arrow at the banner. The banner catches flames and falls onto buildings bellow. Children scream and bleats and howls can be heard over the chaos. Now the real party begins. I rush into the crowds, bringing my sword down on all those who get in my way. I leave a trail of dead bodies and destruction behind me. It almost feels good. Is this what Sirocco feels every time she goes... savage? I'm going to assume so. And god damn. Does it ever feel good. I come across a wolf, not much older than me lying wounded in the streets. True fear is in it's eyes. "Don't do it. Please. I beg of you" the wolf pleads. I just smirk and bring my sword down. Most people are dead and most building are destroyed. This is what Sirocco wanted right?, it's what I want... I guess?. I come across a blacksmith shop. The very one that made the crown. The fucking crown. I enter and see a goat on the ground, cowered in a corner. "Are you the one who made the crown Queen Sirocco wears?" I ask in a menacing tone. The goat nods. "Tell me? What's the crown's weakness?" I ask. "It doesn't have one" the goat replies. "Everything does. Now tell me. What is it?" I ask as I press my sword against the goats chest. I push slightly down and he begins to talk. "Fine! It's when you chop off it's vines. And withering roses also stop it's possessive power" the goat says. "Thanks for telling me" I smirk as I push my sword deeper into the goats chest. 

I exit the shop and notice the corner of it is catching fire. Good, as it should. Nearly everything is on fire and pretty much everybody is dead. All that remains is a few children. I walk up to them and notice them cowering. "Why? Why did you do this?" A goat kid* asks. "You're a monster! An absolute monster!" A lamb cries at me. "How could you do this?" Another lamb asks. "You've taken everything!" Another little voice says. Their right. How could I? How could I have Sirocco turn me into this monster? I drop my sword and weep into my hooves. "You!e all right. It's true. I am a monster. All because of that goddamn Sirocco!" I cry. A wolf pup pats me in the back and comforts me. "I appreciate it. But how could you show me empathy? I've slaughtered everyone in this village and I was going to kill you too!" I weep. "E-everyone deserves mercy" the wolf pup replies with a tear in their eye. "I'm going to make this right" I say as I stand back up and grab my sword. "And it starts with me killing you all" I laugh as I swing my sword. I don't stop or think twice until every single one is dead. "You've done it. Now go make this right" I laugh and talk to myself as I stare into the smoky mess I've created.

New chapter tomorrow