𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

"To being unemployed!" Alena cheered, raising her shot to meet those of her three friends.

"Ah, but to being free of cretinous men!" Raquelle said.

"I'll drink to that," said Rose.

"Are you sure you're alright to drink?" Bobby asked as Alena set down her empty glass on the table.

"My throat's still a little sore, but the paramedics said that I don't have a concussion, so I should be fine." Alena took a sip of her cocktail, knowing that Bobby was probably right.

"So, what are we going to do now?" Rose asked.

"You've got your jewellery making. You could expand that?" Alena suggested.

"But I don't know anything about business. I can organise and stuff, but I didn't even earn enough from it to pay more tax than I can afford."

"Hello!" Raquelle waved her glass in front of Rose's face. "We've worked in business now. And besides, Bobby knows everything."

Bobby pointed at Raquelle in agreement.

"I don't know. Wouldn't an online jewellery business be a little...boring for you," said Rose.

"Nonsense! Handling a business' entire finances sounds exciting!"

"Bobby, how you are the only one of us who has managed to tie down a partner is beyond me!" Alena laughed.

"Let's see." Bobby put a finger to her lips, mockingly narrowing her eyes in thought. She pointed at Raquelle. "Gets bored with their toys faster than a toddler." At Rose. "The kind of men you like don't go outside." And finally, Alena. "Emotionally unavailable."

The three of the accused laughed heartily, though Alena felt a faint sting deep in her ribcage. Of course, they had all been on the receiving end of Barbara La Rue's cutting honesty before and it was nothing a drink wouldn't soothe. So Alena took a gulp of her cocktail and continued to laugh.

"I'm going to the restroom," Rose said, setting down her glass.

"I'll come with you." Alena took a compact and the lipstick from her bag, and followed her to the back of the bar.

There was no one else in the toilets, but Alena didn't attempt any kind of conversation. She strained her bruised neck, which she had done her best to cover with foundation.

Rose came out of the stall and began washing her hands. She shook off the excess water and paused, meeting Alena's gaze in the mirror. "Why did you do it?"

Alena considered. Of course, she wasn't about to spill her guts about a year-long initiation into a magical society. So she told a half-lie. "Some injustices cannot go overlooked. I had the capabilities and the resources."

"You're braver than anyone I know." When Alena didn't respond, Rose wrapped her arm around Alena's waist and rested her head on her shoulder. "We're all so proud of you. Not just us three, but I was talking to some of the other girls at work and they think what you did was amazing."

Alena smiled at her friend, then dropped her eyes away from the reflection. Perhaps she had enjoyed the process, the anticipation, and the act of tearing Hanson down more than she should have, instead of realising what the Eye was trying to achieve through her.

"Hey, you okay?" Rose pulled Alena from her stupor.

"Oh. Yeah. I was just...thinking."

"Take a break from thinking tonight."

Alena smiled again. "You're right. I need a break."

♤ ♡ ♧ ♢

"You got a phone call," Raquelle said in a sing-song voice, waving Alena's phone in the air, as the two women arrived back at the table.

Alena rolled her eyes. "Give me that," she said, half-heartedly reaching out as she sat back down.

"Don't you want to know who called you?" Raquelle teased.

"I know exactly who called me."

"So..." Bobby bit back a smirk, "who is this 'Mr Atlas'?"

"Nobody, just some guy I know."

"He's her special friend," said Raquelle. "Oh, don't think I don't know about him," she continued when she saw the protest on Alena's face. "We live together; you don't think I know that you only spend half your nights at home?"

"Well," Alena said indignantly, "as has been so sufficiently pointed out that I am too emotionally unavailable for a relationship. Why shouldn't I have a little fun?"

"Fun with a Greek God," Raquelle grinned, waving Alena's phone again until she managed to snatch it back.

"Actually, Atlas was a titan," said Bobby.

"Titan or god, he doesn't need that kind of ego boost," Alena said, and put her phone away.

"So...you aren't going to call him back?" Rose asked.

"Hey, aren't girlfriends supposed to stop you from calling the guy, not encourage it?" No sooner had she said it, Alena's bag buzzed, her phone screen lighting up the inside of her bag.

"He's certainly persistent. You sure you haven't got him down?"

Alena gave Bobby a look and pulled out her phone. The name on the screen read 'Brad Heart'. "It's not him. I'm sorry, I have to take this." Pressing the phone to her ear, Alena asked the caller to hold for a second as she pushed her way through the tables to the door into the street.

"Out celebrating your victory, Miss Warbeck?"

"Yeah, I would have invited you, but..."

Thaddeus Bradley's deep chuckle rattled down the line. "I just called to congratulate you on your success."

"So..." Alena bit back the question as long as she dared. "Am I in?"

Bradley laughed again. "To think that, a year ago, you didn't believe in magic."

"I know that's what I said, but I don't think that's what I meant," Alena said, sheepishly. "I just didn't believe in its value."

"Right."

"And I do now, obviously. And without doing a single card trick!" The sharp chill of the New York night air had ignited the alcohol in her veins. "And I took a hit for it. Did Daniel Atlas ever get smacked in the face for his craft?"

"It's okay, Miss Warbeck. You've more than proved your value to the Eye. We'll be in touch with you soon."

"Of course." Alena made no attempt to suppress the joy behind her smile. "Thank you."

"Alright. My time is running out. Enjoy your evening."

"Thank you," Alena said again, then added, smirking, "You too."

There came another deep chuckle, and the line went dead.

Alena stayed outside a moment, clutching her phone to her chest, waiting for the surge of pride to run its course through her veins.

But no sooner had Alena stepped back inside the bar did her phone ring again. She rolled her eyes, ready to decline another call from Daniel. But this time it showed a number that she didn't recognise. Stepping outside again, she tentatively thumbed the green button.

"Hello?"

She was first met with only shaky breaths. She could have waited a full minute before she heard a soft, "Is this Alena?"

"Yes, this is Alena Warbeck speaking. Can I ask who is calling?"

"Alena..." the voice crackled down the line.

"Yes...?" Alena said slowly.

A quiet chuckle, another pause, and then, "Like Grandmama used to call you. And Warbeck...just like her."

It was as if her lungs had collapsed in on themselves. The feeling drained from her legs. Propping herself against the wall of the building, Alena managed to croak out a single word.

"Mama?"