Ch. 1

Days had passed by and I had kept myself locked away. If I had left my room I would either have to face my grandfather and hide the truth or I'd risk a run in with my mother. The few times I left to get food and saw her, the feeling of darkness drove me away. I never felt comfortable around her but the level of discomfort increased with each spell she used. I could barely be in the room with her for 5 minutes without collapsing under the weight of the energy. It was crushing me slowly.

My time in my room was interrupted when I heard voices downstairs. My brows pinched together but the voices weren't close enough to distinguish so with a sigh I got off my mattress setting aside the book I had been reading. I opened my door making my way through the house towards the voices. As I got closer the heaviness in my chest eased some and I wondered why. Normally, the closer I was to the basement the more tightness I felt but today the opposite was happening.

"Father Kastner, thank you so much for your time. If we think of anything else we will stop by," a man's voice said.

"Yes, thank you Father," a woman echoed before I heard them coming up the steps. I ducked into the living room out of sight but stood in a spot I would be able to see who it was. My jaw hit the floor as the woman from my vision walked out of the house with a man who I assumed was her husband based on how close they were. The minute they exited the house my chest felt tight again and the darkness suddenly more overwhelming than it had been prior.

"Brielle," my mother spoke causing me to jump my heart racing as I whipped towards her. "Who was that?" She asked as I shrugged. I couldn't tell her who they were as I hadn't met them before and I kept my visions to myself. If she knew about my abilities she would use me more than she already had thus far or she'd see me as a threat.

"Didn't know who they were and I didn't speak with them," I said simply before I moved up the stairs and back into my room away from her.

A few more days ticked by. Nothing happened. My mother had left me alone and my grandfather had been busy trying to figure something out. He wouldn't tell me what but I had a feeling it was about what my mother had done. The furrowing of his brows showed the conflict within him. I wanted to help him but I couldn't.

It was late in the night when I jumped awake. My heart pounded against my chest as I struggled to breathe before the room blurred. I gasped before slipping into the familiar darkness of a vision.

I found myself standing in the tunnels beside my mother who was chanting. She was facing the altar with a vicious smile on her lips. My eyes searched around confused why I wasn't as uncomfortable as normal. That's when I saw it. That light and the woman. She was staring straight at my mother watching as she cursed a guy. A determination flickered in her blue eyes as she started to pray interrupting my mother's curse. Everything on the altar whipped around as a burst of warm wind tipped things over. The moment that happened my mother glanced up seeing the woman for the first time.

"How are you doing this?" She asked her calmly though I could see the slight panic in her black eyes.

"God showed you to me," the woman stated as I moved towards the woman. It seemed as if neither could see me, at least that's what I thought until the woman's eyes darted to me making my breath hitch. I froze on the spot as the woman's eyes returned to my mother who chuckled maliciously.

"Then your God has damned you," she said with a vicious smile. The woman stiffened. I felt the dark energy rush towards the woman and suddenly I was standing beside her in a morgue. I couldn't see my mother but that didn't mean I couldn't sense her darkness.

"Where am I?" I asked myself as I looked around to get my bearings. I saw the black mist oozing out of the body the woman was holding. The dark energy quickly filled the room while the woman's face scrunched up as she internally resisted the link between her and my mother. The lights snapped off and I watched helplessly as a corpse rose up.