"2..." (Part 1/2)

Fawlk’s armored boots splashed back into the river with tremendous force, splashing water up and onto the bank. Against the midnight background of the sky, his glossy black armor was practically camouflage. The plates covered every inch of his body: from the large shoulder pads that could have easily weighed a hundred pounds each to the tiny overlapping plates that made up the armor over each individual finger. His forearm plates, shoulder pads, thigh plates and even the top end of the steel, knee-high greaves were adorned with curved black spines that looked to be razor sharp. The only parts of the suit that were not black in color were the dark blue fabric that protected his neck from the edges of the shoulder pads and the trimming of the cape that ran down to his feet. His head was covered by an equally black helmet, the face plate angling out away from the face. A small slit across the eyes and down the nose line were the only gaps, creating enough space to see and breathe through. Though the openings were shadowed by a strange, black mist to prevent Fawlk’s face from showing. The helmet was also complete with curved, black spines, all from the front of his head, swooped back to the back that looked almost like a porcupine.

            Clutched in his right hand was a blade with an ornate hand guard decoration that resembled two wolf heads. The blade was longer than a traditional one handed blade, and both sides were very obviously sharpened extremely well.

            The fast current of the river did not affect Fawlk’s stance in the slightest, he was hunched, knees bent, hands held out from him like he was an outfielder waiting for a ball. Just down the river stood another figure, in similar armor, though the other figure’s armor was entirely white instead. He also lacked the spines, the ornate helmet, the special looking sword and the cape that Fawlk possessed. Instead, the other figure’s sword was a standard looking short sword, his helmet different, just a simple eye slit for his vision, though his face too was covered by a dark black mist.

            “Your master lef’ you alone!” Fawlk heard Zack’s voice shout from somewhere in the darkness. “Just tell me wha’ I wanna know and I’ll let you leave!”

            “Liar!” The figure in white shouted. He grabbed his sword with both hands, hunched down, and charged headlong towards Fawlk, feet splashing through the water. In reply, Fawlk hunched his shoulders and reached his left hand over to grip his blade with both hands. A dull blue glow settled over his black armor like a fine dust, the top layer of water in the river rippling away from him.

Within a matter of seconds, the white armored figure had closed the hundred yard distance at an inhuman speed. When he was within range, he swung his blade wildly across Fawlk’s chest, but Fawlk was too fast. With a loud crack, Fawlk vanished from view, and instantly reappeared behind his opponent. The movement was so instantaneous, the water was not even disturbed by the apparent teleport. Fawlk wasted no time, he swung back at his enemy, who had managed to spin himself around and bring his blade up in a parry. Fawlk’s attack overpowered the off-balance defender and plowed through his block, knocking the guard aside. Luckily, the white one had managed to bend his torso far back enough to avoid the tip of Fawlk’s sword.

            Fawlk let go of his sword with his left hand even as he continued through with his attack. His palm outstretched and fingers hyper extended within inches of his enemy’s chest. A brilliant blue flash followed by a boom that sounded like an artillery impact sent the white figure flying backward through the air like a doll. He splashed into the river on his back some thirty yards away.