7. The View from the Top

"Run as fast as you can... jump as high as you can... and fly. Don't worry about the ball. I'll bring it to you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, 3-on-3 match continued

Karasuno High Gymnasium 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Huh? Bring it to me? What do you mean?"

"Don't worry about that. All you have to do is run as fast as you can to where there are no blockers and then jump as high as you can and then swing. Don't bother looking for the ball. Don't worry about trying to meet it."

"Huh?! If I don't look for the ball, I'll miss it!"

"Maybe, Yeah!"

"Hey!!"

You sigh. This plan was.. stupid, if you were being honest. Still, you decided to put at least the tiniest bit of faith in Kageyama's skill.

"Still. I wanna give it a try."

Hinata was silent for a moment. "Okay," he finally said.

"What're they up to this time? When are they going to realize the king's royal set is impossible to hit?" Tsukishima said to Tadashi.

"Ha ha! Yeah!"

You sniffed. Tsukki was a bad influence on Tadashi.

Daichi grabbed the ball and headed back to serve, bouncing the ball against the gym floor.

"Score one, Captain!"

"Server up!"

"Let's go Dadchi!" You yell from beside Suga. Hinata gapes at you as if you betrayed him.

You chuckle but it dies down once you sense the aura coming from Kageyama. He was concentrating really hard.

Daichi served the ball. You watched Kageyama, captivated by him. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

His eyes zeroed in on Hinata's form, already flying through the air. He positioned himself under the ball, raising his arms as he jumped. His fingertips barely touched the ball as he sent it with pinpoint precision directly to Hinata's hand. Your jaw dropped as Hinata slammed the ball on to the other side of the court.

"Yes!!" Kageyama and Hinata both grinned.

"I could actually fall for you," you mumble. (If anyone gets that reference, lemme know)

Suga snaps his head over to you, eyes wide. Did you have a crush on Kageyama? Feeling slightly jealous, he grabs your hand and puts it over his shoulder.

You grin and twist your hand, grabbing his cheeks and squishing them. He grins, blushing slightly as he enjoyed the attention he was getting.

"It hit!!" Hinata yelled, grabbing your attention. "It hit my hand!!"

"It hit your hand? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Hey... D-did you see that...?" Daichi asked, his eyes wide. "That whole time... Hinata wasn't looking at the ball one bit..!"

"WHAT?!" Everyone yells.

You grab Suga's shoulders, shaking him. "IS HE CRAZY?"

"Um, are you serious?" Tsukishima asks.

"From the second Hinata left the ground until he finished his swing, his eyes were looking directly at the sideline. Since he wasn't looking, if Kageyama has been off by an inch or a millisecond, Hinata would have missed. But he didn't. That means Kageyama set that ball on a dime, pinpointing Hinata's palm the instant he swung..!"