Chapter three

The ball that they were to attend was a large society gathering that took place annually.

Naturally, Jane and Elizabeth were one of the first ladies to be asked to dance and Kitty, who was keen to make the most of her first ball, was also rarely seen without a partner that evening.

Mary, meanwhile, was more eager to play the pianoforte for the party than to dance; as a result of some excellent tuition and encouragement from her sisters, Uncle and Aunt, Mary had become a truly proficient player.

Now, after dancing for what seemed like months, Elizabeth took a break from dancing herself and sat nursing her sore feet. She watched her sister dance with a young genteel looking man with light blonde hair. He looked absolutely smitten with her and the smile on Jane's face suggested that she too, was enjoying herself. The dance finished and both the gentleman and Jane made their way towards Elizabeth.

Elizabeth thought that the man looked very amiable indeed and as she greeted him she saw something in his manner of speaking that told her that he would probably make anyone smile, even the most ill-tempered person in the whole of London.

''I am delighted to make your acquaintance, sir. I see that my sister has found herself a most attentive dance partner,'' said Elizabeth to the gentlemen who had been introduced as Mr Bingley.

He smiled and looked at Jane before turning back to Elizabeth, ''Miss Bennet has told me a lot about her family; she speaks very highly of you.''

Elizabeth gave a small laugh and replied, ''Oh, Jane never sees any faults in a person. It is in her nature to think the best of everyone.''

The rest of the ball passed in the same way and at home, Jane told Elizabeth all about her 'most admired' dance partner; she seemed to have learnt enough about him in one evening to write a biography!

''Well dear, I am pleased that you have found yet another person to like. Only this time, he really does seem an amiable person,'' Lizzie smiled.

Jane blushed slightly and looked away from her sister.

''Mr Bingley is an extremely agreeable person and is an exemplary gentleman.''

''Yes, I thought so,'' said Elizabeth quietly to herself and with that she blew out the candle and settled down to sleep.