Chapter 4 - Bill's Night

Bill hurried into his room, closing the door behind him, never being so happy about having the whole room to himself. He sat on his bed and buried his face in his hands. Will he be able to do this? Will he be able to be around Theodora for the rest of the summer?

Why did he have to be so attracted to her? It was wrong. It was so wrong but he couldn't stop. She was so nice and didn't make fun out of him or teased him as his brothers did. He genuinely had fun degnoming the garden for the first time ever just because he did it with her.

He could even say that he was grateful that Charlie made him work with her but that would be taking it too far. First of all, admitting that Charlie was right about something – even if just in his head – was too much, and second of all, he can't feel like this about her.

Perhaps, it was because he hasn't had a girlfriend in such a long time and she was nice to him. Or maybe because she didn't idolize him like most women he has met upon telling them what his job is. She doesn't strike him as a person who puts a lot of thought into looks and genuinely enjoys his company not because she thinks he's hot or something.

Bill sighed and pushed himself backward, bouncing on the bed. He stared at the ceiling for what seemed like an hour, trying not to think about her, trying not to wish she was his age, trying not to picture himself with her.

"Hey, Bill, you in here?"

Bill lifted his head as he heard Charlie come in. The second he saw his face, his brows furrowed, remembering that he was still mad at them for throwing him and Theodora into the pond.

"What do you want?" He snapped at him, looking back at the ceiling.

"Listen, we are sorry for before. We took it too far." Charlie cleared his throat. "Let me make it up to you by letting you beat me in some Exploding Snap."

Bill lifted his body, his elbows supporting his weight, and looked at his brother with his eyes narrowed. He hated Charlie's stupid apologetic grin but he couldn't deny that playing a game with his siblings would be a good distraction.

"I will only forgive you if I win." He glared at him, bumping into his shoulder as he exited the room.

Charlie went to the cupboard where the family had their board games to find the cards, while Bill and Ron moved the coffee table in the living room to make space for them to play on the floor.

"You're really bad at this game, Charles." Bill laughed at his brother.

He wasn't sure if Charlie was losing on purpose just because he promised him to win or if he actually sucked at the game.

"I told you I'll let you win." Charlie tried acting annoyed but he couldn't deny that it was nice seeing his older brother relax a little.

"Ha! Another one for me!"

It didn't matter how well Bill was doing or how bad Charlie was losing, Ron was still better than both of them. The cards didn't explode in his face once and at this point he was having too much fun winning something against his two eldest brothers.

"Hi, Ron, Bill, Charlie."

The trio was so busy having fun playing the game that they didn't hear Theodora come downstairs. They all turned their heads to her when she greeted them.

"Hi," Ron mumbled, being too busy winning.

"Hey, Theo." Charlie grinned at her.

"Hi, Theodora." Bill bestowed her with a quick smile, trying to get back to the game as soon as possible.