ii.

✧】ii

✧】ii. vendetta against seatbelts【✧

[ pilot - earth skills]

"ROOMMATE SECURED," SAYS Keaton with a wide grin as he all but struts up to Amery, arms spread. "Well. Tentmate. Is that a word?"

"No," Amery smirks, but it morphs into a smile at her friend's smug expression over his apparent new living situation.

"Well. It is now," Keaton decides, clapping his hands together as if a very important choice has just been made. He rubs his palms together, buzzing with unspent energy.

"Who's the lucky guy?" she teases.

"Nathan Miller," Keaton replies. "Solid dude." Amery thinks she might recall seeing the guy around, maybe on Alpha Station, though nothing particular about him comes to mind.

"Not Cash?" Amery asks in confusion, watching three boys tackle each other obnoxiously over Keaton's shoulder. "I thought you guys got along."

"We do. It's just that Monty and Jasper claimed a big tent before they left, and they told Cash he could crash with them. I figured four would be a little much," Keaton explains, and Amery nods in acknowledgement, stretching her arms above her head. The words take a moment to register before Amery's eyes widen and she drops her arms to her side.

"Oh, shit," she mutters. "I don't have a tent." She rubs her hands together anxiously, teeth tugging at her bottom lip as she pictures herself sleeping on the ground, surrounded by convicted criminals. How lovely. Keaton doesn't look at all concerned.

"Right this way, m'lady," Keaton grins, leading her in the direction of the dropship. Next to it is a pile of salvaged supplies, mostly blankets and a few scattered crates, removed dropship seats, and... one tent.

A brunette girl snags the last one right as Amery approaches, and she groans, dragging her hands down her face in defeat. The universe is conspiring against her, and it's starting with her sleeping habits.

"Just sleep in our tent, Mer," Keaton insists, tapping her shoulder affectionately. "Miller won't mind."

"No, I–"

"Amery?" a girl interrupts, appearing on her other side. Amery grins, recognizing her loose brown braids and warm smile. Her jaw is sharp and angular, her dirt-smudged clothes giving her a hardened appearance, but she exudes a warmth that negates whatever intimidation her appearance might spark at first glance. It's been years, but the girl in front of Amery is undoubtedly the same girl she'd met in her first Beginner Earth Skills class all those years ago.

"Zoe!"

"It's good to see you again," Zoe grins, moving to stand in front of Amery and Keaton. "Wait, you were in the Skybox? What'd they get you for?"