The Weight of Living

I met her when I was 6. It was at my best friend, Christian's birthday party. It was sleeting outside, and I had just taken off my coat when I saw her. Her vibrant blue hair was curly and everywhere. She was flushed from running and jumping around. She was gorgeous. And huge. Like the tallest person I've ever seen. Even taller than my dad. I wanted to introduce myself, but I was frozen. So when Christian dragged me away to one of the blowup slides, I was slightly relieved.

"Who is she?" I asked Christian, pointing at the girl.

"My cousin, Sydney. Why do you ask, Henry?"

"No reason," I duck my head down so that my face was covered with the long dark strands of my hair. I knew I was flushed bright red.

For the rest of the party, I followed her from a distance. Throughout the party, I discovered that she is not only pretty but also very kind.

Like when I was trying to climb onto the obstacle course but was too short. She saw me struggling and lifted me up with a kind smile. From that moment, even at my young age, I knew I was in love with Sydney.

Since then, I see Sydney only once a year, at Christian's birthday party. And each year I learn something new. When I was ten, we were playing Rock Band, and I swear, when she sang, the angels got jealous.

Speaking of jealous, three years ago, she showed up at the party with another boy, one who looked around her age. She introduced him as her boyfriend. I pretended to like him but that night, I cried before I went to sleep. No one knew the feelings l keep hidden inside. Even with her being eight years my senior.

It's been two years since I last saw Sydney. She missed the party last year. Christian said it was because she was at college. But this year she came. With that same boy. The one she called David. Her "boyfriend".

I get that I would never have a chance with her. I was 17 to her 25. There was no way. But that doesn't mean my heart didn't shatter into a billion pieces when she showed a diamond ring to everyone. She was engaged.

That was it then. I knew this would happen in the end. But at the same time it was a total surprise. I hate it. I hate it so much. Why does it hurt so much?