Chapter Twenty-Five

The Program

Chapter Twenty-Five

"Believe it or not, we're the good guys." She spoke. "The name you are to refer to me as is Bridget. Now, let's get started."

I sat there, coughing a little. "How are you the good guys? Don't you realize what you did was awful?"

"You make me laugh, dear." Bridget chuckled. "We aren't the people that did all those horrible things to you, we're the people trying to stop those horrible people. Tell them, Natalie."

"It's true," Natalie said. "That doesn't mean they're going about it in the right way or that they should be trusted."

Bridget grumbled, "That's enough, Ms. Daniels."

"Fine," I spoke up. My head was held high, me trying to still look strong during this time. "Whatever. So, you are the good guys. Well, guess what. You're also the person who's threatening my friends. I don't take that lightly."

She went back to the vacant bed, retrieving a few papers. "I understand, Alexandria."

"It's Lexi," I frowned, biting my lip. If I remained stubborn, maybe it would stall this conversation long enough to figure out a plan.

"Fine then. Lexi." She came back, holding the papers out in front of me as she sat down in her chair again and crossed her legs. "Here."

I reached for the papers, the words written on them looking like something only Natalie would understand, not me. "What is this?"

"That, my dear, is the formula and codes used to make the test." 

"Wait, hold on a minute," I heard my brother say. He got up from his seat, carrying that same seat with him and positioning it in a place where we could see each other. "What in the heck is the test?"

Me and John immediately exchanged glances. I hadn't wanted my family to know about an of this, not now. Not ever. Yet, it looks like I have no control over that now. 

Before I could say a word, Bridget instructed my parents and John's to also move their chairs, all of us now in a circle and able to see everyone. I gulped, not liking the eyes on me. I noticed too that John looked uncomfortable.

"Now, since we can now speak face to face with everyone," Bridget began. "Who would like to share first? Natalie? Lexi? How about you, John? Or better yet, your parents."

"We have done nothing wrong," Martha began, John facing his mom when she opened her mouth. "Nothing to cause you to hurt my son."

Bridget faced her. "I'm not hurting your son. John will be perfectly fine as long as he cooperates-"

"I have two sons," She hissed. "You aren't to lay a finger on Jack. He is also my son, not that poor excuse for a man that thinks he deserves the title of dad."