Chapter Twenty

The Program

Chapter Twenty

"Um," John began, pinching between his eyebrows and releasing a sigh while stumbling over his next words. "So your plan is to-"

"Yep." I cut in.

"Which would involve us-"

"Uh huh." I nodded. I glanced at him, taking in his appearance.

His brown hair was tossed everywhere, which was normal considering how many times he ran his hands through it recently. His gashes were wide open, dried blood stuck on his skin -not a doubt in my mind that it matched my own cuts. 

With him letting out another breath of air, he locked eyes with me again. "I can't believe i'm actually agreeing to this." 

I walked closer to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I don't know if it will work." I said, next remembering what he had said to me when I brought all this up. "But you said yourself, you felt it too."

"Yeah, but I didn't think it was important."

"John," I ran my hands through my own hair. It was warm now, tiny beads of sweat forming on my forehead. "If the test keeps dying, we die. If we work together and fix it, we'll be buying ourselves some time."

He grunted. "So you're saying that after everything you did to disrupt this freaking thing the first time, now it's not worth it anymore?"

"I never said that. John, neither one of us can do what we have to do if we're dying." I pleaded. 

"You're asking me to kiss you again, Lexi. Take that in for a moment." John pointed out. "Did you ever think that I might not be okay with that?"

"Are you okay with being dead?" I deadpanned. "Besides, that will only be a last resort. Natalie always said disrupters are stronger together. I mean, apparently i'm this super strong form of it, but I still didn't completely shut down the test. With you, imagine what all could be accomplished this time. And you already agreed to it."

"Okay, fine. One more question though."

I smiled, rolling my eyes. "And what would that be?"

"Do you know whether you actually know how to disrupt the test in reverse, or if it was just a flook when we kissed?"

❒❒❒❒

"Step one: we need to find out what makes you disrupt." I said, sitting down near the memory wipe tree with John. I figured some practice time needed to take place before we did anything too life threatening.

As Natalie had said once before, we didn't need to accidentally blow up the other person's head because we had no clue what we were doing.