Chapter Twenty-Four

The Program

Chapter Twenty-four

I could heard the monitor beeping as I opened my eyes.

Beep......beep......beep.

The rhythm was steady at first, my surroundings coming into focus.

Beep....beep....beep.

It was getting faster as air filled my lungs and my heart started beating faster. The sound was almost deafening in my roaring ears.

Beep..beep..beep.

As I sat up in my bad, hospital clothes hanging on me in a baggy fashion, I saw nurses tending to the bed beside me. There was so much commotion.

Did I really wake up? Hadn't Reid's boss wanted me dead? I tried to focus. But all I kept hearing was that stupid noise.

Beep.beep.beep.

There was a tube attached to my arm. Without thinking, I pulled it out and the beeping turned into a loud squeal that caused me to cover my ears with my hands. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to hear something else or I was going to go crazy.

A large breath was taken at the bed beside me, the nurses and one doctor finally backing up and then realizing I was here too. "She's awake." The doctor said, followed by nurses holding me down and sticking the tube back into my arm.

But not before I saw John give me a small smile before he fell back against his bed.

Okay, I could definitely deal with the sound of John breathing.

❒❒❒❒

There were tests being run, both mine and John's family being forced to stay on the other side of the looking glass to our room. It had been two hours now and all me and John were allowed to do was talk to each other, and only as long as we spoke loud enough for the doctor to hear us.

But I said nothing to John. There was only one reason why they would want us to speak under the circumstances we were in, they wanted information. I assumed John wasn't saying anything to me for the same reason.

Plus, we were told someone important was coming to speak with us.

But, of course, I tried to be rebellious. "I want to see my family. You can't keep us locked up in here."

"You'll see them shortly," Was all the doctor kept saying. "Wait until your visitors get here. They should be arriving soon."

"You said that an hour-" John started but was quickly shut up.

"Enough, both of you." We both stopped talking after that, leaving me to stare at the scenery around me yet again out of pure boredom.