fin.

As lonely and as confusing as it could get, Nico truly did enjoy living at camp. It certainly beat sleeping in shadows, or in tiny abandoned houses with evil ghosts attempting to trick him.

He liked the way the light reflected back on everyone's faces, as they sat around the bonfire that had been created closer to the big house, in light of the number of campers. He liked the way Will and Annie's faces lit up, whenever James indulged them in their endless rants over many different books. He liked the way Will would sit and explain everything to him during the rants, so he never once felt left out, even when they were using words like dementors, nikolai, and walburga. He liked the way the infirmary smelled, weirdly enough. It reminded him of Will and Mia.

On late nights when it was apparent Chiron wasn't leaving the big house, and no mail had been delivered yet again, the remaining campers would sit around their small bonfires, and talk of their families, their loved ones. Will told the story of his older brothers heroic protection. Annie told the story of her fathers acceptance when he discovered that she wasn't really his biological child. James talked about their little sisters support, even when their parents had none to give. Once, Nico even talked about Bianca, and their time in Westover Hall.

Over time, it became easy enough to forget about the reason the thirty or so campers left had grown close enough to call each other family. They ignored the buzzing sound that reverberated around the camp each time an iris message failed to connect. They ignored the beard Chiron had forgotten to shave, growing increasingly longer each rare occasion he stepped out of the big house. They ignored the weekly meetings he held with the cabin counselors, warning them of nothing and everything all at once. They ignored the air of waiting around them, choosing to go around pretending they were simply living their lives, rather than going on autopilot, in the in between of something big and something bigger.

So, life went on. Arts and crafts continued to be held at 9 am, sparing continued to be a requirement, and demigods continued to do their studies in their own time and on Chiron's messy schedule. It was almost a normal year.

Except for the distinct lack of all those they had lost. Except for the clear unease as the weeks had already stretched into months without news, without contact, because how much longer could this possibly go on? Except for the disappearance of Dionysus, the hiding of Chiron, and Camp Half blood being led by 15 year olds.

How long could they lie in wait?

*

"So, Will." Mia started.

"Good gods, Mia, this is important. I need to concentrate. One foul move, and everything's over." He carefully maneuvered himself, ignoring the crowding campers, doing his best to be precise as possible. He had shushed Nico in the same way only moments before.

"It's beads on a string, Will. This is so much more important."

Scowling, Will threw his half finished bracelet onto the wooden table, glaring at Mia as Nico, along with Kayla and Annie, tried his very hardest not to giggle. "What! What could be more important than this carefully crafted piece of art?"

"I'm dating your sister."

Will blinked, but didn't hesitate. "I don't see how this was more important than my bracelet?"

Mia nodded, her face blank as if compartmentalizing his response. "Cool. Cool."

"Can- can I continue it?"

She nodded again, this time in response, and pushed away from the table, walking towards the armory.

Nico didn't say anything. He had had a feeling, after weeks of time spent both with Mia and Kayla and in his own secret relationship. He thought he might have been able to recognize the signs, and it would seem he was right. But, it wasn't his place to say anything.