chapter fourteen

Without a word, I started towards the door. Clay stood up and blocked my path.

“Now hang on a minute. We’re not running into this fight half-cocked.” He said as he put his hands on my chest.

I lost it. With everything I had in me I shoved him hard by the shoulders.

“You son of a bitch! This never would’ve happened if you wouldn’t have put all that shit in my head!” I shouted as I drew back my fist.

I landed one hard blow to his face. Opie and Chibs jumped on me and pulled me off of him. Gemma came running from the apartment and went to Clay.

“What the hell is going on here?” She shouted.

Clay wiped the blood from his lip and looked at her.

“Nothing, he’s just blowing off some steam.” He told her.

That made me even angrier. I lunged for him again, but Opie held me back.

“If she dies, it’s on you.” I spat at him.

Gemma looked from me to Clay and slowly let go of him.

“Clay, what is he talking about?” She asked him.

He shrugged Gemma off and stalked towards the door.

“It doesn’t matter, what does is getting this bastard once and for all.” He called.

Gemma watched him leave and then pounced on me.

“Jackson, what the hell is going on?” She asked me.

I sighed and Opie and Chibs let go of me.

“Clay gave me a business card that he found and made me believe that McKayla was a rat. We had a fight last night and she left. The reason she was in the house was to pack her shit. She was gonna leave Charming. Leave me.”

I felt sick as soon as the words left my lips. McKayla was going to leave me. If Marcus wouldn’t have shown up she would be gone by now. Gemma’s look softened and she put her hands on my face.

“Listen to me son, you’re going to get her back and you’re going to make everything right. Okay?” She said.

I swallowed my doubts and nodded silently. She kissed me and held me for a moment.

“Now go bring her home.” She whispered.

I nodded and the guys and I slowly made our way out of the building. Clay was on the phone, leaning against a beam. When he saw us, he hung up and faced us.

“That was Unser. Apparently this guy wants attention. He shot two security guards and is holding another hostage along with McKayla.”

The guys let out a chorus of ‘shit’ and ‘Christ’.

“The Sheriffs are creating a perimeter and aren’t letting anyone near the place, but Unser says he can get us close because she’s your girl.” He continued.

I just nodded because I couldn’t find any words to say. We didn’t say anything else as we made the long walk to our bikes and followed Clay to where McKayla was.

Unser wasn’t kidding about a perimeter. They had cops directing traffic five miles back. No one was getting close. When we got stopped, Clay told the officer the situation and we were allowed to pass. Still, we had to park the bikes far enough away that we couldn’t hear the Sheriffs talking. I spotted Unser and Hale standing near the yellow caution tape that separated me from McKayla.  

I didn’t wait for Clay to say anything, I marched up to Unser and Hale and they both turned to me.

“What’s going on?” I asked.