A Fateful Visit

"Sam!" Sara exclaimed when she arrived back at her flat and saw Sam waiting.

"I thought I would meet you here. How was 10 Downing Street? I saw you on TV and your picture in the newspapers. Is this security for you?" Sam said bemused by the people with Sara.

"Come inside. I will tell you all about it."

The couple went inside and they were immediately in each other's arms. Kissing each other like they hadn't seen each other in a life time.

Somehow, they managed to get to the living room. Finally, on the sofa their faces' parting to allow them to take air.

"That was a nice hello." Sara told Sam, wrapping herself around him.

"Yeah, I kind of missed you." Sam confessed, struggling to convey his feelings into words.

"Only kind of?" Sara had begun to enjoy teasing Sam. Her mother would approve she thought.

"You know what I mean. Why do you make hard?" Sam said defensively. He knew Sara was teasing him but she had a way to push his buttons.

"I'm sorry I had to rush off last week. I had completely forgotten about everything." Sara returning to the topic from outside.

"You forgot your dad was going to be prime minister? Isn't that like a big deal?"

"Well, of course I knew he was going to be prime minister but they told me at Christmas and I was told not to say anything, so I just put it in the back of my mind and forgot about it. To be fair, it only actually happened last week."

"Don't you watch the news or read the papers? It happened three weeks ago. Your dad only moved in last week and started the job properly! I didn't say anything because I thought you knew more than me." Sam was not quite believing how Sara was not up to speed with current affairs especially when it involved her own family.

"Well, I was a little preoccupied." Sara was feeling a bit silly now. She should have known. In fact, it was ridiculous that she had no idea what was going on.

"Preoccupied with what."

"Well, with you for one. Studying together, going out together, what we did last week." Sara said shyly. Feeling like she was going to have to confess to Sam when he would notice unlike last time. "So, if you think about it, it is your fault that I forgot." Taking the moral high ground back. Nicely done Sara she thought.

"What? How did you..... Never mind." Sam could see he wasn't going to win. Sara had changed he thought. Before she was quiet. A bit of a wall flower. He didn't mind that. It helped him relax. He always had a hard time around people, especially girls. He was never sure how much they were interested him, for him and not his looks. He wasn't sure if the boys wanted to be his friend or just wanted to use him to get to know the girls. Because of that he kept himself to himself, shunning anyone who approached him. Sara was different. She didn't try or force herself when he first talked to her. She seemed happy just to have found a friend then they did what they did. He now felt differently about her. If they split up, he would lose a friend too. She had changed the way she dressed now and it drove him crazy. She really has no idea how beautiful she is, he thought to himself.

"Hey Sara, can I ask you something?" Sara could see Sam had suddenly become nervous.

"Sure." She could sense that he was going to ask something big about them. She could feel her stomach knot up with nerves.

"Are we now boyfriend and girlfriend?"

Relief swept over Sara.

"Yes!" she beamed. "At least I hope we are." She had no idea what happened in the past year but she had been happier than she had ever been. Being with Sam also made her closer with her parents especially with her mother. They loved each other like any other mother and daughter but they always struggled to find anything in common but since Christmas Sara felt closer than ever to her.