Chapter 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNSC FFG-643 Reclaimer, Autumn Class Heavy Cruiser, Captain's Quarters

Battle group "Raseiniai"

Time: March 28th, 2558

0910 Local time

Location: 10 Minutes behind from main battle group

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Muller stared at his TACPAD, akin to 21st century teens staring at their smartphones, he bends his neck down, almost slouching in his seat, milling over the reports sent in by the scientists. Well, the information that wasn't covered in black ink. He looks at file after file, skimming through the gigabytes of text and photos taken from the crash. 'Well damn, we did make contact with another alien civilization. I'd bet the eggheads are making a field day out of this BS.' Muller muses to himself. He wasn't fond of the civilians down there, as he saw them as a distraction to their objective.

But nonetheless, without the scientists, there would be none of the technological enhancements and improvements that the fleet is receiving right now. All of that Forerunner technology needed the Scientists to investigate and reverse engineer. But it doesn't mean that they are useful in every situation. Muller's ship was built for war, and not as an escort service.

Muller sighed, setting down the TACPAD, and thinking back to the Human-Covenant War. He distinctly remembered the fast-paced action of the war, how every deployment would always be something useful in his eyes, whether that be blowing up Covenant ships, or ferrying Spartans from one mission to the next, he admittedly enjoyed the adrenaline rush that it gave him. But then he remembered the feeling of grief and anguish that he felt, every time a ship would blow up, being hit by plasma too many times, the billions of people he had left to die when he failed to prevent a planet from getting glassed. He could only spectate, as the Covenant plasma beams impact on the world, indiscriminately killing all life that dared oppose its way, turning even the most beautiful, and colorful of worlds, into a grey monochrome ball of glass.

Then came the Battle of Earth, and again, he watched as the ODPs and what was left of the UNSC navy fire away their MAC cannons, the thundering volley of slugs impacting the Covenant ships, doing nothing but downing a few of their lighter ships. He distinctly remembers the frantic activity of the bridge, the overwhelming wave of comms chatter, alarms, gunfire, and ship explosions was the only thing that filled the air. The thick screen of yellow and purple streaks were the only things that could be seen among the stars, each streak spelling death and destruction for those who would stand in the way. No words would ever do justice for how devastating and hectic it was. All they knew was that this was their final hour, and that there would be no retreat from this point.

"Sir? The admiral is contacting you. I suggest you actually pick it up this time." Trojan dryly joked, his distinctive fiery red avatar materializing near the captain.

"Frick- Trojan, you damn near gave me a heart attack... Put him on." Muller replies. He snaps out of his flashback, his eyes blinking multiple times, as if to clear the memories away. His demeanor turns on a dime, as his face now becomes emotionless, sullen, and disciplined. 

Muller stood up, running his hand through his messy black hair. He attempts to flatten out his uniform, trying to even out all the crinkles and the uneven spots on his uniform. He finally stops messing around with his uniform, and stands straight and tall, not unlike how he used to do so in basic.