twenty four

twenty four.

My body was ripped from its slumber to a frantic series of gunshots outside. I sat up. Were we under attack? A couple more pops made me stand up, my legs wiggling from how weak my muscles were. I stumbled over to the door of the cell, wrapping my hands around the metal bars. The cell door jolted. My eyes went wide, glancing over at Daryl in hopes I didn't wake him. Lord knows he wouldn't want me leaving. He stirred in the corner but didn't wake. I slowly opened the door again, a loud creaking noise filling the air. I cringed at the sound. I awkwardly stepped into the general population area, spotting my sword tucked away up the stairs behind a mattress. I stumbled as I climbed the stairs, pulling my sword out from behind its hiding spot. Another shot went off, sending me into a frenzy. We must be under attack.

I pushed my way through the doors, bursting outside into the daylight where the sun had already fully risen. No one else had come out yet. Didn't they hear the gunshots? Was this all a dream? A man outside the fence fell to the ground, a biter pinning him down. I started to run as fast as I could down to the entrance, getting a closer look of the situation. The biter hungrily snapped its jaws at him, desperate to get a bite of his flesh. The man hollered out in agony as he struggled to push the determined biter off of him. I cranked open the door to help. I couldn't stand by and watch him die. What if that was me out there again? The biter noticed me moving about and rose to its feet, hissing at me. I sliced its head down the middle with one swipe of my sword. It fell to the ground, its blood oozing out onto the grass.

"Well I'll be damned to hell," the man who had been in danger drawled, huffing for breath as he rose to his feet. I glanced down at him, my stomach dropping once I noticed; he was a member of my father's army. I slowly started to back up towards the gate, my heart increasing in speed. "We never thought we'd find you: the infamous little daddy's girl." He followed me as I backed away, smirking with every step he took. "I can't wait to get my hands on you; your daddy's got a big price on your head." I took that as my cue to run, turning around and sprinting to the gate. He ran after me, leaping through the air and tackling me. I yelled out in pain as I made contact with the ground, my sword falling out of my hand and landing out of reach. I elbowed the man in the face as hard as I could. I was able to slide out from underneath him and grab my sword while he held his eye. As I army crawled away, he seized my foot and held it tightly.

"Let go," I screamed, trying to kick my foot free from his grasp. My foot made contact with his nose. He let go and held it. Blood trickled through his fingers and down his bruised knuckles. I struggled to clamber to my feet, but managed to stand tall over him. I pointed my sword at his head. He gazed up at me, his expression morphing into worry. He held out his blood filled palms to me in surrender. Someone shouted my name from back inside the prison yard. I made the mistake of taking my eyes off the man, turning my head to look at who called for me.

"Aften," Daryl shouted, charging towards me. I quickly turned my head back to the man before me. He raised his gun, his finger on the trigger. Without thinking twice I brought my sword down on his wrist, cutting his hand clean off. The gun fired and fell into the grass, the bullet missing me. The man shrieked in pain as he watched blood squirt out of the stump and onto his clothes. I took notice of a group of biters that had stepped out from the trees, hobbling over to the scene. I glared at him, breathing heavily before stabbing him in the chest. He grunted, his eyes widening. I gritted my teeth, twisting the sword inside of him to make sure he felt pain. Once I was satisfied with his screams, I drew my sword out from his body and knocked him over with my foot. I spun around on my heel, letting the biters close in and tear him apart. I came face to face with Daryl; he was right behind me the whole time I killed the man. He grabbed my wrists lightly.