Chapter 3

On Monday I get my drivers license. The whole week flies by, and the day comes when I have to leave for the school I chose to go to. I am waiting for my flight to be called in the lounge of the airport. Finally, I hear the speaker announce, “Flight to Tulse, Colorado has arrived.” I stand up and stand in front of my mom. I can see the tears forming in her eyes, and the next thing I know, I am in her arms hugging her until I can’t breath. I pull away, look her in the eyes, and say what I thought would be too random for the moment, “Don’t tell Mario where I am at, O.K.?” She nods, and a moment of silence, understanding, passes between us. “I’ll miss you a lot mom. Thanks for letting me go.”

“I am very proud of you. If it weren’t for you and your responsibility, you would not be here now. If you ever have a problem, which I h

ope you don’t, or you just want to talk, call me.” I nod, she smiles, and a tear escapes her eye. I let go of her and start walking toward the door of the hall that leads to the door of the airplane. I turn around, and wave at her for the last time. The door closes, so I start walking toward the airplane. The flight lasts six hours. According to the research I did over the last few days, Tulse is a medium-sized city on the western side of Colorado. I read how the weather was colder than it usually is in Maine, so I packed all my warm clothes and some money just in case the clothes I brought don’t work out.  The whole flight I just stare out the window, wondering how much time I have until I arrive at my destination. I close my eyes, and I am taken away into a dark, mysterious world.

I wake up to the sound of the flight captain saying, “Hello, this is your Captain speaking. We have now arrived at Tulse, Colorado. Please put your seat belts on and remain in your seats while we land. Welcome to Tulse, Colorado.” Ten minutes later, I am off the airplane, pacing around the lounge area, waiting for my bags to arrive. I see my fuchsia luggage bag coming out, and five minutes later I am waiting for a taxi to arrive. After waiting for five minutes for a taxi, I give up and start walking in random directions. Right after a minute of pacing in random directions, I see a taxi driving by. “Hey! Wait! Stop!” I whistle and it stops and pulls over. “Thanks for stopping when I ask you to,” I mumble under my breath. I walk about ten feet to get to the taxi waiting for me on the other side of the road. I get in the taxi, sit in the seat behind the driver, and put my luggage in the seat next to me.

“Where you want me ta take ya, miss?” asks the taxi driver who sounds like he is from Wisconsin.

“Please take me to this address.” I hand him a piece of paper with the address I am supposed to go to. He takes the paper, nods, and starts to drive. I look out the window the whole drive there. I see so many different things here. Here, there are different types of houses than there would be in the countryside. Here, there are a lot of buildings, but on the countryside there are not many people, and the only buildings we have are spread out. Later, I would find out more about this place, this city, this exhalting place.

An hour later, we finally arrive at my destination. He helps me take out my bags, and I pay him ten dollars for his service. I look around and see that this is a fancy hotel. I can tell by how luxurious the lounge looks, and how the person behind the counter is dressed. I walk up to the front desk and ask, “I am here on account of a school exchange program. They said they would have a room waiting for me when I got here.”

“What is your name miss?” He looks up expectantly.

“My name is Everdeem Blames.”

“May I please have your Student ID number that came in your letter?” I hand him my letter I got in the mail, and moments later I am being led up to my room.

“Here it is. Hope you enjoy your stay here. If you have any problem, just dial the number five on the phone in the corner and it will call the front office.” He smiles and turns away from me, and I go into my room and shut the door behind him. The bedroom is fancy, with a bed, the color of the ocean in the sunlight, that looks very comfortable, a big bathtub, and a one person couch, the same color as the bed, that sits by a medium-sized window that looks out into the beautiful colors of the city. I start to unpack my things, satisfied with the room I got, and get ready for a new day at my new school tomorrow.