Chapter 2 - The Beginning

Six Years Ago

"Julie! Time to get up! You'll be late for school, again!" Her mother yelled at her, disturbing her sleep.

"Be down in 15 minutes, mom!" She answered back. Julie rolled herself out of bed  with a groan. She quickly hopped into the shower and dressed just as quickly. Julie was not the type to obsess over her appearance. Jean's and a tee were her staple wardrobe. Add in sneakers and she was all set. She didn't bother with makeup, because she didn't have to. She had perfect skin, unusual in a fifteen year old, but she would enjoy it while it lasted...

She grabbed her bookbag and went downstairs. Her mother was standing by the stove flipping pancakes.

"Mom! What did  Dr Feinman tell you about being on your feet too long??" She scolded her mother.
"I've been on my feet for a total of two minutes, grandma!" Her mother retorted good-naturedly. "Now here, eat your breakfast and get your butt off to school, before I get another phone call about your tardiness! Then, once I know you're safely ensconced in juvenile detention,  I can go back to bed and rest til the afternoon. Okay???"

Julie looked at her mom, she had lost some weight since her mate, Julie's dad, Roger, had been killed in the last rogue attack. Two months ago. Two months since their world had been shattered. Usually, when one mate dies, the other mate dies soon after, but Julie's mother was pregnant with her sixth child. This gave her the strength to carry on. She had had six pregnancies, but Julie was the only one to survive so far. The doctor said if all went well, she would deliver a healthy pup in 8 - 10 weeks. Loretta, Julie's mom, was quite stressed at this point because two of her other pregnancies had ended in stillbirths at this point. So she was trying to do everything prescribed by the doctor.

She took early maternity leave from her job in the pack, so she could rest up as much as possible. The alpha, alpha Pierre, had been completely understanding and had told her to take as much time as she needed. Her job would be waiting for her when she was ready to come back.  Loretta worked in the Laundry Hall. She was an omega wolf and so was assigned a menial job.

Selene's Warrior's pack was not like other packs though. They did have Omegas, and placed them in lower, menial service jobs, but unlike other packs, they weren't mistreated and they could apply to be considered for other roles in the pack. The goddess had told all packs that everyone had a value to contribute to a pack. Selene's Warrior's seemed to be the only pack to remember this. The Alphas recognised that the warriors wouldn't be much use if they weren't well fed. And the omegas wouldn't be able to survive an attack of rogues without the strength of the warriors.  It was a finely balanced system. One couldn't survive without the other. Also, they realised that each class of wolf had their advantages and disadvantages.

With warriors,  they were strong and good for fighting, but they were bulky and slow and could be caught and cornered if up against more than one opponent. With Omega wolves, they were small, weak, not really suited to fighting. But they were also incredibly quick and could outrun most wolves and so escape if being chased. Gamma and Delta Wolves were often a mixture of the two types, but they had an extra skill, they were smart. They could be strategic planners in battle. They were often placed as doctors or teachers. Alphas and Betas had all the advantages and none of the disadvantages.  They were strong, but quick. They also had excellent strategical ability. Each part, each person had a role to play in contributing to the success of the pack.

***

Julie finished her breakfast and grabbed her bag.  She kisses her mom and heads for the door. "See you later mom, please promise me that you'll get some rest, right??"

"I promise sweetie, have a good day at prison!"

Julie stepped out her door and went next door to her best friend's house, Sarah. Sarah's mom was a nurse in the infirmary and her dad was a warrior, like Julie's had been. Sarah met her at the door and they walked together to Sarah's car.