1. Second smartest

Right when Misty Williams was about to open her textbook to start studying, the music started to pump behind the door of her dorm room.

"Oh my god, please no..." Misty took a deep breath. She gave it a few seconds, in hopes that it's just an accidental short-lasting blast...

The volume went up.

"Okay, I'm done."

The redhead was convinced she didn't take a college loan to come to Celadon University and slack off. She worked hard to get accepted into the Ecology major and she worked many summers while her friends tanned on the beach – she had no time to lose in university. She was a senior now and she could always have fun after she graduates.

"Excuse me?" Misty screamed as she knocked on the door facing hers, the music behind it loudly playing. "Open this door!"

In fact, this floor wasn't always as noisy. The dorm room facing hers was actually empty just a few months ago, and even the years before, it was occupied by different students that never caused any trouble.

This year, a guy from Viridian University who can't seem to get his vape pen out of his mouth moved in.

First, trash started to pile up near the door: pizza bits, empty cans of soda, piles of empty pizza boxes, sometimes liquids spilled on the floor. It's like all the guy did was eating. Not that she was judging him (she was), but the situation wasn't exactly hygienic. Although the neighboring dorm mates weren't complaining, Misty, knowing her neat-freak tendencies, couldn't stand it. Also, all the trash was facing her door, and that made her twitch. She stuck notes, she slipped them under the door—she cleaned under the guy's looks. She thought he'd do the same if he sees her do it.

"Ouuu, look at this! We're nothing without women!"

She should have known that the sexist joke was just the beginning.

"MISTY! HEY!" The music got even louder after the door opened. "WANNA COME IN?"

Misty was quite familiar with Ash Ketchum by now. He was on her Wanted list. Was he nice to Misty? Yes. Did that stop her from complaining officially and getting him out of her floor? Sadly, yes.

"No—Ash, no." Misty shook her head. "I'm sorry but you have to turn down the music. It's really loud and I can't study."

"WHAT?" He narrowed his eyes and tilted his head. She couldn't understand why he was speaking and trying to vape at the same time.

"I CAN'T STUDY!" She screamed at his face. "THE MUSIC IS TOO LOUD YOU IDIOT!"

Ash paused for a moment. He got inside the room, and suddenly, the music got turned off.

"Okay, good..." Misty mumbled to herself. She stepped to the back.

"Now now, you wait a second there." Ash came back to show up at the door. He pointed at her with his vape pen. "What do I get in return?"

"Excuse me?"

"You just ruined the ambiance," Ash spoke seriously. "I need the loud music while I vape. It's how I chill."

She decided to drop it. "Put headphones on and listen to the music."

"What? No!" He looked disgusted. "Who does that?"

"I'm not carrying on this stupid conversation." Misty shook her head to herself and went to open the door of her room. "But thanks anyway."

"Stupid?" Ash gasped dramatically. "What are you talking about? I only failed in high school twice! I could have been the smartest kid in town if Gary Oak wasn't born a week before me!"

Misty slammed the door after she got inside.

She suddenly started laughing.

"How does that always get me?"