Merci beaucoup

I wrote this note about 6 months ago. The day after I posted the epilogue for TCG. I guess I was too emotional at the time to post it. Now, it’s time.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ♥ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

“When there’s nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.” — Stars

When I started writing THE CASQUETTE GIRLS, that’s how I felt, like I needed to set myself on fire. I needed to do something new. I started posting on Wattpad as an exercise to help me get over my fear of writing. I never thought I’d be able to write 10,000 words. Never did I think anyone would actually read anything that I wrote. I never thought I would make friends (both online and off) and I certainly never expected to grow so much as a person.

 And I certainly never thought TCG would become a book printed on actual paper.

For all of this, I want to thank Wattpad and I want to thank you all. For every read, for every vote, for every 2 a.m.  piece of feedback, conversation or discussion, when very few people in my *real* life know about this secret adventure of mine and Adele’s and Isaac’s and Nicco’s, Désirée’s, Gabe’s, Ren’s, & Cosette’s, and if you’ve made it this far, you know that list is rather extensive.

I want to thank all of the conspiracy theorists and silent readers. Those who suffered through my typos. I want to thank all of the people who believe in magic. Most of all I want to thank the people who believe in New Orleans – the people who have had to eat Hurricane gruel for months, who have had to suffer the smell of Bourbon street on a late July afternoon. To the coffee slingers, beignet friers and omelet beaters. To the street artists, jazz boys, and coke-bottle-tap-shoed dancers. To the Cajuns, to the Creoles, to all those who have suffered on our stone streets. To those who get lost dreaming in the humidity. I want to thank the drag queens who raised me to think wearing costumes is a weekly affair. To the tarot card readers, and Nosferatu ring wearing blood drinkers. I want to thank every person who has cleaned mold, bailed water, or seen a Nutria on the neutral ground. I want to thank the people who have rebuilt after every fire and every flood.

Love,

Alys

P.S. There are far to many people to thank in this note, but I want to give a special shout out to my beta reading group: Summer, JB, Rebecca, Sarah, Amanda, Kim, Leah, Hiba, Jennifer, Liza, Luke, Zee, Alex, & Lisa. Seriously, I might not have gotten through the editing process without you <3

P.P.S. Release date = Halloween 2013. Swoon.