12| Mean Girls

Have you ever had that nagging feeling that something omnious is about to happen, but you simply can't put on finger on it, so you go about pretending that all is up to scratch. That is exactly how I felt. The blood- curling premonition of something bad happening was so intense that I wanted to go home and never step foot on the hall or room again. Thus, I was woefully quiet on our walk back to the halls. I dreaded stepping foot in there, but I had to show fear that I was brave, that I was stronger.

"See you in an hour, Hailey. I have to unpack the remainder of the stuff," I said as I unlock my door.

"You have the whole week to unpack, chil and relax," Hailey retorted.

With trepidation I entered my room. There was Riley in all black, standing akimbo in the center of the room. She looked like a she- devil surrounded by a cloak of shadows.

"Oh, so you are back again, you fugly slut."

"Who are you calling fugly slut? You don't even know me."

"I know all I need to know about you. You are a stank, fugly whore."

"Riley! You have crossed the line," I said angrily with my hands transforming into a fist ready to punch.

"What are you going to do about it." She said while pointing her hands to my face.

"Don't you f**king put your hands in my face, you psycho."

"I will put my hands wherever I want to," she snapped back.

As if on crack, I lunged at her like a wild furious lion, grabbed her hair and begun yanking it. But her hands found mine, and she began pulling it with force. Even worse she started pounding my face unto the bed rails. OMG, she was strong, I mentally noted. I gathered all momentum, fueled by adrenaline and anger, and kicked her hard inthe stomach. She crashed into the wall before landing firmly on her feet like it was nothing.

She leaped foward holding a pocket knife, bringing so close to my head, but I was able to duck just inthe nick of time. I grasped her hand and squeezed it tightly till she let go of the knife. Out of nowhere, her fist landed on my cheek with full power and my vision became blurry, I couldn't scream or yell, the world was spinning and everything became dark.

I passed out.

****

"Alison", I heard someone say in the distance. "How are you doing?"

I could hear the beep and the faint sound of a familiar voice, my body felt numb and exhausted. The smell of disinfectants and drugs crept into my nostrils. As I slowly opened my eyes, I saw white walls, white ceiling, white lights, white sheets over my body and a hazy figure of a man hovering over me.

It was Ryan.

I froze. My heart felt like it stopped beating and inside felt cold as ice, but my skin felt like it was on fire. A look of indescribable panic rushed on my face.

"It's okay now, it's all alright. You will be fine."

"What happened?"

"Riley went crazy. I was coming to visit you when I saw her hauling your clothes, your luggage, hangers and everything that was yours out of the room, throwing them outside like they were gabbage, with the intent to most likely to set them on fire as she was holding a gallon of gasoline. I shoved her to the side, entered the room and found you unconscious. I took you in my arms and brought you here. Hailey took your things to her room."

"That's a lot. What do you expect from a psycho?"

"Don't know what came over her. Thank God, it is over."

"I hope so. Thank you for rescuing me."

"Anything for you, my love. I'd catch a grenade for you; throw my hand on a blade for you; I'd jump in front of a train for you. You know I'd do anything for you."

"Now, you are just milking it. What did you want to tell me the last time? I'm ready to listen."

Ryan sighs.

"You see when I went to Italy to be with my mother, my step dad was so vicious. The very day I stepped foot into their shared house, he took my phone and I had no access to the internet. I lost all my contacts. He hammered me with punches and insults day in and day out. My mother was so engrossed in her new relationship that she neglected me like an afterthought. It was hard, but I survived."

"Wow, I am lost for words. You've been through a lot. How did Riley came to the picture?"

I wasn't interested In knowing the answer, rather I wanted to gauge his reaction. Reactions are data and can reveal more to you about a person than even their actions. Was he over her? Did he love her?

"She is not important. She is past. You are my present and future. You mean so much to me." He said while intertwining his fingers with mine. As our fingers were sliding up and down, curling around and stroking, I felt attached, protected and loved. It was electric! The lights flickered as if reading the room. The mood, the feeling, the electricity was nothing that dating apps could create. Fun fact: when Ryan and I were on a break, I went unto these dating apps and chatted with random dudes, but it always felt eerie like I was cheating on him. I guess I had hope that one way or another, we would find ourselves with one another. Was I being irrational for wishing that he was never with anyone during the 2 years we were apart?

"I want you to know that I would not start any relationship with you unless you break up with Riley. I do not have time for games." I said firmly.

"I am going to break up with her today. You know you are the love of my life. I can't live without you." he said while looking into the depths of my eyes.

As the tension rose to its peak and we were about locking lips together like screw and nut, Ross walks in. A surge of heat shot through my body. The last thing I wanted to do was to explain to Ryan how I met Ross.

Vote, Comment and Share!