Chapter Four- What to Do, What to Do

Akashic Valley University Dorms. Jen's POV

Lying on her back on her comfy bed, Jen licked the grease from her fingers with a slurping noise. She put one hand on her chest and let out a satisfied belch and imagined Anissa squealing in disgust. A snort of uncontrolled laughter escaped her.

On her bed on the other side of the dorm room, Quinn giggled. "You nasty!"

"I know my mom would agree wit you if she heard me doing that," Jen replied, a smile touching the edges of her lips. Her voice turned wistful as she stared into space, for a second fancying she could see the pulses and wavelengths in the ionosphere. "She always wanted me to be the perfect little lady, but that was Anissa. I was too busy being rebellious, cutting class, going to day parties- you know."

Oh, God, the joint she'd smoked once she stumbled back into her room was taking hold and making her chattier than usual. This was how she'd told Quinn that she had powers, a few months into befriending her.

Jen wiped her hands clean with a wet wipe that had been provided with the napkins and cutlery, crumpling it and her burger wrapper into the trash. They had gotten back to the dorm a few minutes ago, after swinging by the burger joint Khalil had recommended to Quinn.

God, every single thought, every little action seemed to lead to Khalil.

Angie was in her room (she bunked alone, and Jen wondered how much she'd had to shell out for that luxury), touching up her makeup and making sure her baby hairs were still laid. She had bullied Quinn into going with her to the afterhours, and Quinn promised to change into something dressier, but walked out of the adjoining bathroom wearing a plain black cotton jumpsuit with sneakers. Better than nothing, in Jen's view, but she knew Angie was going to flip when she saw Quinn's version of an upgrade.

Pressing her knees together as she sat on the edge of her bed, Quinn leaned forward. "Are you sure you don't want to come with us? This might be just the thing to get your mind off Khalil, coz I can tell you're thinking about him now."

Was it that obvious? Jen puffed up her cheeks with air and blew it out slowly. Khalil's image danced across her eyes on a non-stop loop. Of course, she was thinking about him, she was helpless to stop.

"He was my boyfriend, Quinn. I was going to lose my virginity to him, but he doesn't even know who I am."

"Honestly, I ain't even mad. If he was my boyfriend, I'd wanna give up the goods as well." Quinn giggled. "That boy is fine! But sis, he really had no clue who you were. When I was asking him about the burgers, he was all like well maybe you had him confused with someone else, but then Angie was like okay, but your name is Khalil, right, and he said yeah, but I'm obviously not the guy she thinks she knows, and I said that doesn't make sense, because it didn't, but he was just as confused as we were and holy shit this molly is making me go off!"

Rolling her eyes to the glossy ceiling, Jen muttered, "You should have smoked with me instead of poppin that. You're gonna be sooooo high at this afterhours."

High and out of it. Jen didn't understand why Quinn popped molly when she was going out. She had tried it once at her first frat party and it made her so paranoid, she curled up in the bathtub until Quinn came looking for her. That was her first and last foray into party drugs. Weed mellowed Jen out, and that was more than enough. Mixed with alcohol, it also made her talkative, which was something she had to watch out for.

"That's fine." Quinn started picking lint off her jumpsuit. "Angie kinda disappears when I go out with her and comes back at the end of the night with a random. I'll just sit next to the bathroom and watch the lights." She clasped her hands together like a Disney princess. "I hope they have a disco light!"