Chapter 1 - To Brighton We Go

"The seaside town of Brighton is epic in the spring!" That's what King had said when he chose to take Tobin, Gena, and Griff on holiday. By choice, it really meant that they were the only ones of the Kingsguard who wouldn't try to drown him in the sea if forced to come. King at 350 years old still looked barely 21, his skin the color of coffee with the right amount of creme from his mixed heritage. His hair naturally thick and wild was the color cerulean like his mother Caprica who he had never known. His father Emerson had shown him photos of the stunning woman only when King demanded to know why his hair was blue. He kept the sides shaved and let the top be as wild with it's curls and straight bits as it wanted.

He was all sunshine and roses as he stepped out into a gray morning with the salty air of the sea washing over him. A big grin stretched under his mustache and he scratched at his bushy beard as he breathed in fresh air. The four left the sleek, black double decker bus King called Carriage that had been converted into a mobile command center for the Kingsguard. The Kingsguard, a supernatural tactical team that travels the United Kingdom dealing with any threats to supernatural and civilian life. The bottom floor of the bus has two state of the art computers, a small lab, and a medical center in the back. On the second floor there were sleep bay cabins for all twelve members.

King stands six foot two inches in height, his torso long and slightly more muscular than an average man's muscle definition. Today he had dressed in a soft forest green scarf over a black wool thread knit sweater and form fitting black jeans above tan leather thong sandals. While the others dressed for a bit of action from any unseen enemy, he wore his usual everyday Sovereign clothing. Gena a woman of five foot three wore a form fitting sweater with a black vest made of Kevlar fashioned to look fashionable over her ample chest. She kept her long red hair pulled back in a tight braid that went down her back. Her and Griff both wore black tact pants and steel toe boots.

The scruffy Tobin with his short brown hair that grew into a beard that wrapped around the lower part of his handsome face had agreed to the vest and pants at King's insistence but fought hard to wear his normal red tennis shoes that were battered and dirty. King hates the sight of them but to Griff and Gena's astonishment allowed it. The deal was Tobin had to wear a vest and sweater as the weather in Brighton can turn colder than he was used to at it's own whims. Griff, tall and lean with a bit of scruff around his long scarecrow-like face looks as tired and bored as he usually does watching King's enthusiasm.

King to his credit presented himself as the usual fun loving ditz his team expected him to be. He smiles and talked the whole drive from London. It had been an arduous year since the team had found Tobin in Tintern and met their first Angel. What was meant to be a routine call out to deal with a Siren who was luring men and women to be skinned and eaten had been anything but. The Angel would have been a real problem if not for Tobin and his magic. Afterwards King had done what Kings did and taken the man his prisoner until he had assessed his threat to the peace he maintained as Sovereign over all Supernatural creatures in the UK. His advisors had demanded he killed the man or forced him to register with the Supernatural Community Census, but since Tobin wasn't a citizen he didn't see how that would work. Not to mention his Lycan side had already claimed Tobin as his mate, making it impossible for King to kill Tobin.

So instead Tobin became his prisoner but only in station and title. Tobin was allowed free run of the skyscraper that serves as King's "castle" and was allowed to leave it after a few "headaches". Tobin had escaped three times and been found by King each time. Emerson har adviser King to restrict Tobin more but King had ignored the advice. King could lie and say it had nothing to do with his growing attraction to the man but even now, he was a ball of nerves and anxiety in his presence. But today told himself it wasn't about that. Or his very active mind that betrayed him in his sleep with sexual delights and left the front of his boxers moist in the mornings.

No today, was the day that Tobin was going to meet the most powerful Wizard in England. Therefore he was giddy as punch because he was going to meet the most powerful Wizard in England. A man can have cake and share with others, Gena and Griff were used to an excited King who currently bounced with excitement, Tobin was still new to being someone's prisoner even if it felt more like a vacation he was never allowed to leave. King was brimming with energy as the four left the black double decker bus, Gena and Griff and Tobin carrying all the luggage and King, freely strides out ahead of them.

"Shouldn't one of you be at his side or something," Tobin whispered in his soft husky voice and Gena shot him a look of malice.

"What our friend is trying to imply with her beautiful eyes is our King is like a wee lad given spoonfuls of sugar at the beach. No one wants that, but it's too early to sedate him." Griff said, filling in the silence. Gena frowned at Griff but nodded quietly. Tobin shook his head and hauled his and King's expensive luggage along after his friend and captor.

Brighton is a large lovely town of whimsical design. Tall overhangs with metal swirls acting as trim for the high green shingled roofs had Tobin stopping and staring quite a bit, much to the annoyance of Griff and Gena but King enjoyed the look of wonder on the man's face. He knew very little of Tobin, just that he was a soldier from America in what he can imagine feels another life. So seeing the usually grumpy man now grinning was a joy indeed. He shared a look of knowing with Griff who nodded with a bit of a pout and said something to Gena who also nodded and the two found a bench and sat down with the luggage. Palace Pier had been what he hoped would catch Tobin's eye as that was where Nolan was supposed to be but he didn't mind taking his time getting there.

It had been a year since King and his tactical defense team known as Kingsguard had taken Tobin in and though legally he was under the protection of England, Tobin was still unsure about being seen in public. Something of a mystery to the King but he doesn't push. Whatever reason Tobin was on the run when they met. He would protect the man from, didn't matter Tobin had some serious magic inside him. Also it didn't matter that Tobin had this way of flooring him with just a look. Nope that didn't matter either, he would protect the scruffy, grumpy wizard or whatever the hell Tobin was besides short and a bit thick around the ends.

It was why he didn't walk beside the man, besides he was his prisoner they were not equals. Or that's what he drilled into his thick head but glancing over his shoulder and saw Tobin laughing at something funny Griff had said warmed his heart. Tobin rarely laughed at anything he said which bothered King though he didn't know why. But seeing the man with that wide smile just made him shake his head and walk onward.