Chapter 7

Miraculously, Declan retrieved the cat without getting scratched. However, his suit was no longer wearable since he used it to cover the cat up and capture him when he was distracted. Once he was in a spacious cage, Nora informed Veronica to send out notices about the animal, in case he had an owner.

Nora glanced at Declan who was brushing off cat fur from his shirt.

“You didn’t get injured, did you?” she asked.

Declan half-smiled as he glanced at Nora. “I’m fine, Doctor. Unless you want to personally check for yourself?”

“I’m a vet,” Nora flatly said. “I’m not interested in humans.”

A blank look washed over Declan’s face. “Because animals don’t judge you based on your appearance…right?”

Nora clenched her teeth but didn’t reply. Unfortunately, that was one of the many secrets she blurted to Declan during her drunken one-night stand with him. Not many knew that secret of hers. When someone asked her why she wanted to be a veterinarian, she told them it because she grew up with her mother who was an animal lover—which caused Nora to grow up loving animals as well.

But what she loved the most about animals was the fact that they didn’t behave specifically with her based on which appearance she wore. Unlike humans, animals judged initially on character and that was what caused Nora to grow to trust them more than her fellow humans.

Just that one statement from Declan caused a heavy atmosphere to settle in the room. Nora could tell that even her two assistants could feel it so she quickly spoke to fill the awkward gap.

“Thank you for your assistance, Declan. And, uh, you should go see Denora upstairs.”

Then, Nora made her way to the storage room to grab a bowl to fill with drinking water. Luckily, the stash of water bottles were perfectly safe and Nora twisted off the cap of one and poured it into a drinking dish. After that, she walked to where the cat was and opened the cage it was in. The feline was curled up in the corner of the cage, but he immediately perked up from Nora’s arrival.

She placed the water near the opposite corner before she shut the door. Even before Nora stood up straight, the cat had walked to the bowl and lapped the water. Nora smiled at him before she exited the back room to find Declan standing in the same spot.

Nora was taken aback by his straight gaze, but she asked, “Where’s Erika and Grant?”

“They went back to cleaning the back room,” he answered. “Nora, you don’t seriously think a cat could’ve done all that damage, do you?”

She shrugged in reply. “Cats can get pretty nasty sometimes. And they’re capable of climbing trees, so it’s no surprise our little intruder was able to reach the upper shelves.”

“That doesn’t explain how it got into the Animal House.”

Nora pursed her lips. “You’re right. But maybe it was just an accident. Animals are known to wander into strange places with no clear explanation as to how.”

Declan gave her a flat look. “Nora.”

“What more do you want me to say? You’re being too concerned with an issue that doesn’t involve you, Declan. Leave it be. I’ll deal with it myself.”

It wasn’t as if Nora expected her words to reassure him—and they didn’t, judging by the dark look on his face—but she really didn’t have an explanation. That didn’t mean she was just going to drop the issue. She’d eventually figure it out once everything was settled again.

“If you don’t have any other business here, then you’re welcome to visit Denora. Other than that, you can leave and get some of your own work done.”