Chapter 2

VERONICA

The castle looms ahead, hidden by the thick fog willed into creation many years ago. What was once gilded and opalescent is now dark and reeks of death.

I realize I'm not in my usual body, but I'm in a bigger one. I'm in a man's body, dressed in black.

The man was walking towards the castle, up the steps, and into the halls. I had no control over his movements; I was merely an audience inside his head. If he was aware of my presence, he showed no indication whatsoever.

He walks into the throne room and pauses. There, as still as ever, was a giant throne. It was made of Black Onyx and Obsidian, curled with silver serpents and thorns. It looked beautiful and fitting for a palace so dark and gloomy.

He moved closer and stared at it. He had his hands in his pockets, his stance giving no signals at all as to what he was thinking about.

A few minutes passed before he looked down at the shining floor, his dark blue eyes piercing through his reflection as if he were looking at me. His face was blank, but handsome. His black curls looked disheveled, as if he hadn't slept in days. He looked like a god, if I were to exaggerate his beauty.

He crouched, never breaking the stare-off with himself. What is he doing?

"I'm looking at you, darling." He said with a deep, smooth voice.

I jerked awake from my bed that had the pillows haphazardly scattered around. What was that dream? That never happened. It felt so... real. Like I've seen him before.

Taking a couple of deep breaths, I check my bedside clock to check the time. 4:29 A.M.

I can't go back to sleep now. Not after that. I decided to get up, put on my athletic clothes, and run until my mind forgets about that odd dream of mine.

《♤》

After clearing my head with my morning run, I immediately follow it up with my morning routine.

Hopping out of the shower, I assess my walk-in closet for what I'll be wearing for work today. I actually love clothes and dressing up. I like looking nice just because I can.

After a few minutes of choosing and mixing and matching, I finally decided on a black turtleneck dress with half-sleeve puff sleeves that go just below the knees. Pairing it with black stilettos and a few gold rings and ear accessories, I head out of my apartment to wrap myself in a leather coat and drive to the headquarters.

Teleporting to the headquarters to come to work is strictly forbidden for gods know what. Tarrin's office, which I teleported to last night, was based in New York. Here in London, the Midas Association's headquarters is where I get my assignments and training from.

I joined the Midas Association when my mother died when I was seven, a number seen as both power and weakness because of its perfection. Also, it was the age when our powers would manifest and start showing our true heritage. Before I could begin showing my powers, my mother got killed by mortals who discovered the existence of witches and wanted to rid the world from evil my mother never even exhibited.

I had to face the changes a young witch and young whatever-else-I-was, alone. Because of this, I spiraled out of control, then woke up the next morning in a bed with Tarrin beside me sitting on a stool, explaining what happened. I had burnt down our home and injured both mortals and immortals alike that had tried to diffuse the situation. Tarrin told me they erased their memories from that day, but it still haunted me since I did all that and I couldn't even remember it.

Seventeen years later, and here I am. One of the Midas Association's most infamous assassins tasked to join one of its many elite units.

Warner walks up beside me as I stare at the door leading to the meeting room where the unit— my unit— have now gathered together.

"Boss sent me the list of names awhile ago, forwarded it to you earlier by the way, and I know some of them. It's not as bad as you think, Veronica." Warren says with a wary look on his face.

"I haven't checked my phone. I guess I'm going in blindly."

"Nah, I'm going in with you. Not so blind then."

I softly smile. Warren may be a pain in the ass, but I do like his presence when he's not assigned to follow me.

I open the door and immediately catch the dagger that was thrown at my face with my hand. Upon my quick perusal of the weapon, I could already tell a demon is a part of our unit. Demons possessed daggers laced with red rubies, symbolizing where exactly they came from and who they belonged to.

"Nice reflexes, Veronica Elvira." The woman says.

"I'd be dead if I didn't." I say as I sit next to a man who had his eyes glued to his phone.

"She's funny. I like her already!" A witch, as it seems, says to the woman.

"Well, nice to know we're all here. We can finally begin the meeting, shall we?" The man says at the head of the table.

"Should we do introductions?" Warren proposes.

"I'd like that! Hi, I'm Olivia Ward, witch that was once part of the Thirteen Covens of Salem. Now, I'm here with you guys." Olivia says with a smile on her face.

"I'm Taylor. Taylor Hesken, demon." Taylor says as she looks around the room.

"Warren Adler. Warlock. Prince of the Lost Kingdom of Nemzi."

Now that was something that surprised me. He was a prince?

"Gods, okay. I'm Matthew. You can call me Matt. And I'm a vampire." The man who was using his phone earlier now spoke up.

Everyone then turned their attention to me, waiting for my introduction.

Sighing, I said, "My name's Veronica Elvira: half witch, other half unknown."

Olivia made an 'ooh' sound, while the others silently nodded and murmured their reactions.

The man at the head of the table cleared his throat, turning all the attention to him instead. "Alright, I guess that leaves me. I'm Gideon Pence. I'm a wraith, and I'll be the leader of this unit. It's nice to see you all for the first time.

"Do you have any questions? Anyone having any doubts? Because if you do, you have me and Tarrin to face which if I may say, is something you may not be able to face."

Warren looks at me, raising an eyebrow. I nod at him once, answering the question written all over his face.

Maybe this isn't so bad after all.

《♤》

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to comment & vote :)