5 - Chok-er

Braxton

"Stop," I snarl at my brother when he ruffles my hair again. "You suck."

"You didn't suck at training. I think that's what's really important here."

I hide my smile. I really didn't suck. I'm exhausted, yeah, but I went against Conner for a long time before he pinned me. Last week's exhibition was awesome. It was even better when I got to hold Ili as she slept during the bouts. After Caroline died it took a long time to work my way back into shape, but everything seems like it's finally going my way for once.

"Bailey was wondering if Iliana was coming tonight?" Conner says with forced casualness. "She didn't really give a response to the invite. Maybe she has a date?"

Every atom in my body fires up. "Yeah she does. I'm picking her up early," I say with the same idiotic tone. Forced nonchalance, because I saw the looks some of the pack gave Ili and me last week. I've tried to keep everything on the DL for the rest of the week. Just a few casual walks between friends.

Conner doesn't bother to hide his smile. "Good. See you later, Brax."

"Bye, Con."

I feel like skipping down the lane like my five-year-old sister, Thea, flinging glitter and rainbows and other sparkly bullshit. My wolf is panting and pacing, a low whine building in his throat. Abruptly he sits and starts to scratch at his fur in agitation. He needs to be well-groomed to impress Ili. I try to smack him back down. He's not meeting Ili's wolf tonight, but his nervous eagerness won't be stopped.

What if she won't come with me? What if she walks away like she does every morning when I pick her up for school? My anxiety rises more and more until I'm home. I rip off my t-shirt as soon as I'm inside. Practically leaping out of my skin, I raid the "gift closet" in Papa's office. It's where Dad and Papa stash presents for Soltice gifts and birthdays and anniversaries. They buy whatever catches their attention at the time, then put it in the closet and forget about it. Sometimes, Mom cleans it out and thanks them for their forgetful thoughtfulness. She thinks it's adorable. I think it's borderline hoarding, but right now I'm thankful.

I toss all the earrings. Ili doesn't like wearing them. I find a pair of dangly, blue stones and set them aside for Velia and keep searching. I'm starting to get a little nervous about striking out when I find it. When I picture Ili wearing it my dick responds. It's perfect.

I put everything back and feel my wolf relax, proud that he found his female something pretty. The itchy, uncomfortable feeling of anxiety dies down as I head upstairs to shower and dress.

---

Iliana

Furiously I wipe my tears away. My she-wolf snarls, flashing fang, as she paces back and forth in my head. Taking a deep, calming breath, I smooth my dress down my thighs and try to block the sound of Georgina bragging to Mom about Sean taking her to the party tonight.

I've heard that humans can't hear as well as wolves can. Maybe, if I'm ever close to Luna Bailey, I can ask her. Good hearing is vital to a wolf's survival, but not being able to hear through the walls of my bedroom to the kitchen would be a blessing.

I moved my bedroom downstairs a year ago so that I could have more privacy. Why can't Georgina go to her room upstairs and chat about her boyfriend there?

"Iliana?" Phoebe knocks on the door. "Can I see your dress?" she calls out.

"Sure, munchkin," I call back. Quickly I straighten my hair and run my finger under my eyes to make sure Phoebe can't tell I was crying.