20. After 28 years

Hank took a deep breath as we got out of the taxi. He was holding a bouquet of flowers "okay just take a deep breath and calm down." I said he did "okay I'm ready." He said "good. Come on." I said both of them following me. As I knocked on the door Hank stood next to me and Cole stood a little behind me the door opened and Hank was stood in front of me "Lexi!" He said excitedly "hey Hank." I said "is that my Lexi?" I heard Shirley said as she walked around the corner drinks in her hand she looked at us and then dropped the drinks "surprise." I said motioning towards Hank "is? Are? Y-you're alive!" She said in shock Hank just nodded I could see the tears in his eyes she came up to us put a hand on his cheek and then started tearing up "you're really here." She said "yea. I'm here Shirl." He said she wrapped her arms around him which he returned.

I took the flowers out of his hand so he could hug her properly. I looked at Cole who had a small smile on his face I smiled. "Mum? What's going on?" Hank jr asked. She pulled away and looked at him a massive smile on her face and tears streaming down her face "Hank sweetie. This is Hank. You're father." She said he looked at Hank in shock and examined his facial features "dad?" He asked "yea son. I'm your dad." Hank said they looked at each other Hank put his hand out which his son soon took shaking hands with his father for the first time "Lexi? How? Where?" Shirley asked "Jack got me on an expedition to an uncharted island he had to do. We found Hank on the island. He got shot down in '44 and landed on the island." I said "oh and before we go further. This is Earl Cole. He works with Jack. He doesn't have any place to go so I said he could stay with us." I said "if that's okay ma'am." Cole said being polite "you were with my Lexi? You helped get my husband home to me?" Shirley asked "he did." I said "you protected my little girl?" She asked "actually it was more the other way around ma'am. Alex saved my life on that island. I owe her a massive debt." Cole said "Cole. You don't owe me anything. You're family." I said "if you're family to Lexi then you're family to us. You're welcome to stay here as long as you need." Shirley said "thank you ma'am I really appreciate it." Cole said "please call me Shirley. Now let's get you guys inside and put these flowers in water" She said I smiled handing her the flowers "and then you can tell us who Slivko is." She said pointing at the shirt making me blush.

We sat down in the living room "so you spent 28 years on an island?" Jr asked "yes. Believe me I tried everything I could to get home." Hank said "that sounds very much like my Hank." Shirley said "so how did you survive that long? Was there people there?" Jr asked "there is natives of the island yea. They're called Iwis. They took Gunpei and I in." Hank said "Gunpei?" Shirley asked "he was a Japanese soldier. We got shot down at the same time and both ended up on the island." Hank said "and you didn't kill each other?" Jr asked "we did try at first but we were both terrible shots with a gun. We soon realised that we were on a remote island with no way to get home. Once you take away the war you realise that we weren't that different. We became brothers." Hank said "what happened to him?" Jr asked "he died." Hank said "I'm so sorry." Shirley said holding his hand Hank gave her a smile "I didn't think I would actually make it off that island. Until Alex showed up." He said I gave him a smile "yea. So Lexi tell us about this expedition." Shirley said looking at me.

"Okay. Well. These scientists came to me because Jack had recommended me as an animal behaviouralist for a scientific expedition they were doing. One of the last uncharted islands on earth. It's surrounded my a perpetual storm system that's why they needed Jacks crew to get to the island." I said "they also offered me a decent chunk of money and seeing as the sanctuary is not for profit and works on charities and our own money that money could really help so I agreed." I said "once we got there the break in the storm we went through was worse then we were hoping and we went down. So we were spread across the island with only 3 days to get to the north end of the island for our only exit window." I said "oh dear." Shirley said "yea so I didn't know if Jack was alive I was luckily with the tracker they had hired and the pilot we had." I said "Slivko." Hank said smiling "oh yes. The person that shirt belongs to." Shirley said smiling I smiled not able to hide the blush growing on my cheeks "yes. Well we found the river that runs through the island. So we started to follow that in hopes of reaching the north end in time. Then we found what looked like ruins and we met the iwis. They were naturally very protective. But that's when Hank showed up. He assured them that we weren't a danger and they took us in." I said "Hank had a boat that he and Gunpei had made out of their planes. With the extra hands." I said "and Slivko's knowledge of engines." Hank said "we got her working." I said.

"we decided to rest for the night and then I told her how she reminded me of a friend from high school who was also named Alex." Hank said "I had figured out when he introduced himself that he was uncle Hank but I didn't say anything in case I was wrong or it was too startling." I said "but then I mentioned Alex, Grace and David and you had to." Hank said "so I told him. That mum and dad got married, that I'm his niece. Then about how mum and dad died and Grace and I came back here." I said "that was also the night you and Slivko kissed the first time." Hank said "oh. Kissed?" Jr asked teasing me "the first time?" Shirley asked "thank you for that by the way." I said to Hank "what?" Shirley asked "the boy was oblivious." Hank said "they obviously liked each other but he was oblivious." Hank said "which he had to point out." I said "hey Weaver was the one who told him to kiss you." Hank said "Mason Weaver she's a photographer." I said Shirley nodded "and yet he still didn't." Hank said "he was shocked." I said "so I took the reigns and kissed him." I said "so we got dad back and you got a boyfriend." Jr said "well. Yea." I said "and we got new friends." I said smiling at Cole.