Chapter twenty-three

~parseltongue snake speaker~
§parseltongue human speaker§
-Thoughts-
/Parseltongue writing/

Maeve gave Samael one more piece of bacon before sending him away, promising to have a letter written by lunch to send to Gringotts. She wasn't sure how this stranger got her darling owl to pass a letter to her, he was as loyal as they came but she'd keep that worry for another time.

"Oh no," She heard George mutter as a red envelope appeared in front of her twins. "What did we even do?"

She didn't know why they'd be staring fearfully at the paper until it grew a mouth and began yelling. "FRED AND GEORGE WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU PRANK YOUR BROTHER?! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TERRIFIED THE POOR BOY IS OF SPIDERS?! YOU BOTH ARE GROUNDED WHEN YOU RETURN HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS! AND CONVERSING WITH SLYTHERINS?! ARE YOU BOTH MAD? AND BEFRIENDING A MALFOY? HOW DARE--"

Maeve waved her hand and the letter exploded without finishing what it was saying, she was seething with rage. How dare this harpy of a woman speak so rudely to her twins? Embarrassing them in front of everyone? For a measly little Gryffindor boy that complained about a harmless prank? She even had the audacity to bring her darling Draco into the mix? That wouldn't do, she'd have to have a little chat with Ronald Weasley about keeping his mouth shut. She stood up and glared at those who remained looking and were laughing at the misfortune of her twins.

"I find it completely unorthodox that Hogwarts would allow such a rude letter to be sent to students, that it would even be allowed to humiliate children in front of others. And they say Hogwarts is a wonderful place. Safe for all its students. What a joke." She scoffs at that before turning a glare to the Headmaster who had been sitting quite calmly despite the ear-piercing screeching voice of that letter. "Though, I'd like to know how it is that that would even happen?"

The old man straightened in his seat and ran a pale wrinkly hand through his beard. "Well, my dear girl," He ignored her scathing glare at the unwanted word of endearment. "That happened to be their mother, I can't refuse a mother writing to her children, now can I?"

"That makes it even worse! How on earth could a mother feel comfortable yelling at her children in such a way? And in front of strangers, no less! And she completely insulted their choice in friendship, who cares if they hang out with Slytherins? They aren't hurting anyone and they've been welcomed in with open arms, might I add." She turned to the students who were watching the entire thing with wide eyes, they were most likely shocked that someone was even scolding the great Albus Dumbledore and that someone just happened to be the girl-who-lived. "Do you all really think it's okay to be insulted and degraded by whatever that letter was?"

"It's called a Howler," Draco said, staring at the green eyed beauty in awe.

"Even the name sounds horrible!" Maeve said, looking at each student. "Why would Howlers even be allowed in a school setting?"

Another student, from the Hufflepuff table, stood up. "She's right!" It was Zacharias Smith, the boy who had a 'sudden change of heart' concerning Maeve Potter. Soon enough more students were voicing their agreements until McGonagall seemed to have enough and stood up with a bang from her wand.

"ENOUGH!" She shouted, causing the Great Hall to quiet down. "You all have classes, I suggest getting to them. NOW!" She ordered when no one made a move to leave. "And Lady Potter, I'll be seeing you in detention for the next two weeks." Her lips thinned in disapproval.

Maeve scoffed, shaking her head. "Figured you'd be punishing me for standing up against verbal and emotional abuse. I'd say you all are too much of cowards to go against a shrieking banshee. It shows how incompetent you adults are. But very well, I shall see you for two weeks in detention since you all see it fit to punish children for all your incompetence." She grabbed her bag and turned to her snakes and group of friends that remained seated, waiting patiently to be dismissed by their leader. "Come along, we have Defense Against the Dark Arts."