Chapter 37

I was in my bed at home, lying on my back, eyes closed despite being awake. I could feel the fingers gently stroking my body, sliding upwards from the curve of my hip up to my arm before tracing the bump of my cheekbone. They gently slid over my sensitive skin, causing me to wake up fully with a shiver of displeasure.

"Uncle?" I whispered groggily into the dark. I couldn't make out his face or his body. All I could see were his hands creeping slowly across my exposed skin. 

His fingers traced up to my eyelids before pressing them down and reversing direction. I kept my eyes shut and focused on my heartbeat, counting each beat and pretending I wasn't here.

This time his fingers rode the curve of my neck, chest, and continued their descent down past my belly button.

"Sleep, Maya." He advised. "You're safe. Sleep."

I was pulled out of the memory as the car hit a slight bump and my head shook me back into consciousness. I had somehow become completely dependent on Brook's shoulder for my pillow, and he had one arm wrapped completely around me as we drove down the dark freeway. His fingers brushed my hair away from my face and I seemed to fall deeper into unconsciousness with every gentle stroke.

"Love you," I mumbled to Brooks, deliriously.

"Shhh, just sleep, angel." He murmured back.

My heart began to pound, and my muscles flexed nervously.

"I don't want to get hurt," I whispered nervously, hoping he'd understand me although my words seemed to be veiled in the same fogginess that I was experiencing.

Where was he? He was coming. He was going to hurt me.

"You're safe, Maya. It's just us."

"Us?" I asked, trying to open my eyes. Don't hurt me. I can't take it.

"Dominic, Damon, Caleb, and Brooks. You're safe." He whispered in that same soothing voice. His fingers stroked my hair again. Once, twice. I felt the car slide me over closer to him, so I snuggled into his body and sighed.

"Safe." I breathed, before falling asleep once again.