Chapter 12

The days leading to the ball her hectic one for all five women. There was much to see to, to assure the ballroom was decorated and the food and drinks for the late supper would be of the best quailty and plentiful.

        The day before the ball found Reggie once again going over their list with the ladies in the drawing room checking completed items off once more. They were relaxing after assuring themselves everything was done and nothing had been over looked. Reggie didn't know what she would have done without the other women's help.

        "I will very glad when tomorrow evening is over with," she told them taking a sip of her tea wishing in it's place was a large glass of whiskey. "I'm nervous about meeting all of those people and what they will think of me and my first ball as a duchess. I don't want anything to go wrong that might reflect on my new family."

        "Don't worry, my dear," Silvia told her. "Everything will be fine and everyone you have meet so far has liked you. You really have nothing to worry about Regina."

        "Do you have any idea how many people want to meet you not because you are Simon's wife or the new Duchess of  Sutherworth but because you are Regina Stockton Davenport Trent business woman," Victoria told her smiling.

        "I'm nervous too, Reggie and I'm not married to Simon or a duchess," Annabel said. "I will be meeting friends of Jordan's tomorrow night and I certainly hope they approve of me too."

        "Jordan has been here every night since he informed Regina he wanted to court you," Sophia told her niece smiling. "He couldn't take his eyes off you the other night when we attended the theater. I would wager he could not tell you what the actors performed on the stage."

        The other ladies snickered and chuckled.

        "He said he wanted to be sure he was ahead of the men that would be attending the ball. He was afraid I would find someone else to fall in love with," Annabel said with a smile on her face. "I think I will flirt with a few just to keep Jordan on his toes."

        "Well it is always good to keep men on their toes," Reggie told her sister.

        "What's this about keeping us men on our toes?" Simon said as he and Jordan entered the drawing room.

        "Regina was saying it is always a good idea," Victoria told the men smiling. "Does she keep you on your toes, big brother?"

        "Yes she certainly knows how," Simon replied as he walked toward Regina and gave her a kiss. "She also knows how to be irresistible as well. Is everything ready for tomorrow nights ball?"

        "We have everything under control. We were going over the list one last time and we cannot think of anything we have over looked. Regina and Annabel are both nervous about meeting so many new people at once," Silvia told Simon and Jordan as Jordan went to sit beside Annabel. "Victoria and I have told them not to worry because we know everyone will like them and the ball will be a wonderful success."

        "My wife nervous? I was not aware that anything made you nervous, sweetheart," Simon teased her. "No...now that I remember it you were nervous the night we married."

        "Yes I was," she replied thinking back on that night. "If you all will excuse me I think I'll go bathe and change for dinner."

                                                        *                        *                        *