- Ten -

dedicated to kirsten because she got ridiculously excited for this chapter.

-------

By the time I'd arrived at Catelin's house, I still hadn't asked Allen about the email.

And trust me when I say I was pissed. With a capital P. I was so upset that my words were getting jumbled, switching between Hawaiian and English because I think that you might be forgetting the fact that I had a damn alien to worry about and said alien was going to a party which was a decision I really didn't think through and was pretty much regretting it with every single cell in my body.

But I knew not to think too deeply on it because I made thoughtless decisions pretty much every day.

I walked up to the porch and rang the doorbell. A second later, it was flung open by Cas, who was freshly showered and wearing a blue bathrobe.

I raised a brow.

"Shut up," Cas said, reading my expression. "I have a date."

I laughed. "You? A date? A miracle!"

Cas scoffed. "One day you'll learn, Kali, what it means to be a grown-up."

"Cas, you're twenty." And he acted younger.

He opened his mouth to retort, but looked at a loss for words. "Touche," he said, shaking his head.

"So does this mean you can't do my makeup?" I asked, slightly put-out. There was a reason we always got ready at Catelin's house -- her brother was awesome helping. From hair to makeup to color coordinating, I still didn't know why my sisters weren't that cool.

"Sorry," Cas said, looking honestly apologetic. "But I would go easy on the eyeliner, and wear blue or white. You've got nice skin and those pretty blue eyes."

I grinned at him. "You're the best."

"True that," Cas said. "Tell Catelin she better not use my professional stuff." He let me in. "Okay?"

"I hear you," I said over my shoulder as I ran up the stairs. I heard Taylor Swift, Catelin's favorite, blasting from her room. I opened the door and a mess greeted me. Clothes on hangers were laid out on the bed, hung from the window, and scattered on the floor. Heels created death traps everywhere, pointy end up. Jewelry caught the bright ceiling light as the fan gently spun around, because the heat in Cate's room was broken.

The owner of the room herself was in the bathroom.

"Catelin!" I yelled over the chorus of Blank Space. "I'm here!"

Catelin burst out of the bathroom, wearing a white dress that hugged her chest and hips before flaring softly out.

"Cate, you're going to freeze and die," I said, referring to the lack of sleeves on the dress.

"I'm wearing Cas's leather jacket," she yelled over the music.

"No you're not!" Came Cas's reply from downstairs. "And keep your hands off my makeup!"

Catelin pouted, but then did a twirl in front of me. "What do you think?"

I surveyed my friend. God, she was tall.

"Excellent," I said. "As always. Just go easy on the heels or you're gonna be taller than Ben." Cate's crush was gonna be there and Catelin was dressing to impress, as she called it.

Catelin grinned at me, holding up a pair of black flats. "Like this?"

I nodded. "Perfect. You guys are the same height, right?"