Chapter VI: Strategy

CHAPTER VI: STRATEGY

IT WAS YET DAYBREAK when Demetri awoke, his sleep broken by habitual early mornings. He had been forced to awake before dawn to prepare the house for the masters of the household. He lingered in bed longer than he usually would have, his mind still reeling from the events from yesterday. It was a moment before he realized he was in a different bed than normal.

The door creaked open, allowing a thin figure through, holding what looked like a steaming bucket of water. He pretended to be asleep, not knowing what else to do. He didn’t realize the figure was looming directly over him until he felt something touch his forehead.

“You’re still my Demetri, aren’t you?” the girl said fondly. It was Deiri, no longer teary but cheerful. “You look the same when you’re asleep.” He waited until the girl had left before throwing the covers off and going over to the basin of water to wash his face. You’re still my Demetri. It was a tone of familiarity he was not accustomed to. This girl obviously knew him—not him, but another Demetri.

His face still dripping, he reached for the towel Deiri had brought him and wiped his face with it. He picked out clothes similar to what he was wearing now: a soft brown colored tunic over a crème shirt and hose. Trying to sort out his hair as best he could, Demetri didn’t linger in the room. It was strange, as if he had slept in a stranger’s room. Though, as far as he could tell, it was his room.

“Early riser, aren’t you?” The woman from yesterday was beaming at him. “Come. Master Amoris will be awhile but I’ll fix you up with a spot of food.”

The smells in the kitchen were glorious. He had forgotten the quality of food given to nobles, and felt awkward sitting in front of a plate filled with food he had only seen before. He noticed he sat separately from the servants. That was something that hadn’t changed.

He ate quickly, scarfing down the hot food with little thought. Today was when he would get the answers he craved. Hopefully by the end of all of it, it would make sense.

“Careful, you’ll burn yourself.” It was Deiri again. He blushed, knowing she had kissed his forehead when she had gone into his room earlier that morning.

“I’ve never been so hungry,” he admitted. It was as if he hadn’t eaten anything the night before.

She laughed. “There’s plenty of food—and time. Don’t sicken yourself with it. No one is going to take it away from you.”

At this point, Demetri realized the truth in her words. Gently, he placed the fork down, grinning.

“What?”

Demetri looked at her. “Usually, this would be when Agar comes in and takes the apple I was given. But then Mother would come in and scold him for doing so.” He looked down, biting his lip.

The look Deiri gave him was torn between amusement and pity. “Well, no one is going to take your food here. I’ll smack them if they do!” She went into the kitchen and returned with an apple. “I’m not your mother, but here’s an apple anyway,” she told him in a soft, feathery tone.

He reached out and took it, cradling it gently in his hands. “Thank you.” A tear dropped onto the apple’s shiny red surface. Deiri looked alarmed. “Sorry,” he mumbled. “It’s nothing. I’m just…” He struggled for words but was unable to express what he was feeling.

Gratitude for Deiri’s kindness.

Relief for being alive.

Grief for his mother’s death.