Dr. Massoud Amin - Chair of the IEEE Smart Grid

My mission is to improve the human condition by assuring that the lifeline systems, which we rely upon are more reliable, resilient and secure. My professional contributions have been in three primary areas:

- Defense networks & logistics systems;
- Modernization, efficiency, security & resilience of local to national interdependent critical infrastructures; and
- Tech/business/policy foresight & strategy.

For over 4 decades, my research efforts have spanned a broad spectrum of activities from helicopters to power grids – but there are certain fundamental problems and underpinning dynamics that exist in any of these systems. It is these problems I have attempted to address in my professional work.

 Though my work has also moved from smaller systems to larger ones, I have never abandoned my childhood belief that electricity is the linchpin -- the most fundamental infrastructure -- of modern society

My most recent work has been at the University of Minnesota. From 2003 to 2018, I directed the U of M's Technological Leadership Institute (TLI). When I assumed the post of Director, I undertook a four-step plan to redefine TLI, which set the stage for future growth. TLI has emerged as a world-class organization that has developed a significant talent pipeline, impacting the region's innovation and economic growth.

Before joining the U of M, I served as manager of mathematics and information sciences at the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) in Palo Alto, where I led strategic research in modeling, simulation, optimization, and adaptive control of national infrastructures for energy, telecom, transportation, and finance. I led the development of smart grids and enhanced critical infrastructures' security. For my efforts, I twice received the Chauncey Award, EPRI's highest honour.

After 9/11, while at EPRI, I had the privilege of directing all security-related R&D for U.S. utilities. My work at EPRI involved working with a diverse range of stakeholders, ranging from over 94% of the North American utilities, utilities from 42 other nations, the U.S. DoE, U.S. DoD, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), U.S. OHS/DHS, dozens of universities, and NGOs.

I served as Chair of the IEEE Smart Grid, the Texas Reliability Entity, the Midwest Reliability Organization, the Board on Infrastructure & Constructed Environment at the U.S. National Academy of Engineering and on the Board on Mathematical Sciences & Applications at the National Academy of Sciences.